Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yikes! Must have been squeaky bum time for Bill Malloy when he stood right next to the dartboard when Roger Collins threw a dart in it! It wasn't a cut-away shot either, it was a long shot so it was all genuine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Dark Shadows - original TV series (1966-1971)

Episode 50 has been reached – and a body has been discovered at the bottom of Widow’s Hill ….. or has it??

As I’ve reached a milestone episode I thought I’d give you my reflections thus far:-

1.Madonna was dead right - time just moves SO SLOWLY…… in Colinsport. Whole episodes pass covering a timeline of just a few hours!
    2.Favourite character by far is Creepy Uncle Roger Collins. He has all the best lines which he delivers with just the right amount of malice and camp. It’s a delicate balancing act but Roger manages it with great aplomb! Plus he constantly refers to his son David as an evil little monster – mostly to his face which is just wonderful to watch! Another checklist I like to monitor is how many times Roger helps himself to what’s in the crystal decanter in the Collinwood drawing room. It’s virtually every episode.
    3.Burke Devlin has the squarest jaw in soap opera history.
    4.The Blue Whale pub has the naffest muzak imaginable on the juke box. Where’s Syd Dale and Alan Hawkshaw when you need them?
    5.There’s far more stumbling of lines and booms coming into shot than the whole of Crossroads and Billy Hartnell Who combined.
    6.A distinct lack of spookiness at the moment – although I’m told that won’t happen till at least Episode 200. But we’ve had a dark shadow, a ghostly wailing voice and much talk of Colinwood ghosts to keep the interest going. Plus Young Monster David has just been given a crystal ball so that’s not going to end well!
    7.The matriarch Elizabeth Stoddard Collins (or is it Collins Stoddard) is a very curious character. She never smiles, never leaves Collinwood and never gets through a whole episode without fluffing a line. You’re always on tenterhooks when she appears … WILLING her to get through a scene unscathed. But on the positive side she’s always immaculately dressed with never a hair out of place!
    8.Joe Haskell is very attractive.

Here’s to the next 50 episodes!

Congrats on your mini-milestone!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    6.A distinct lack of spookiness at the moment – although I’m told that won’t happen till at least Episode 200.
    It's 200 episodes or so before they introduce who will become the main character; (No prizes for guessing that I'm talking about Barnabas Collins) But there's actually a couple of quite entertaining supernatural storylines before then, that start at Episode 70, so you've not that far to go. Although as you can imagine, it's a slow burner and it takes another 50 episodes or so before it really hits its stride.
    I really enjoyed the Laura Collins storyline which begins around 125 episodes in. I won't say anything more, but it's when Dark Shadows really started to take off, for me.

Elizabeth smiled this morning. She's not very good at it:-

Whereas David Devilchild was scowling and wishing everyone dead. He's very good at that:-

Episode 67 and a new character. It’s Mrs Johnson, and she’s another ray of sunshine

Hooray, it’s the first ghost sighting as Josette Collins materialises from her portrait in The Old House

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I think it's around Episode 70 before anything spooky actually happens.
    Yep it was Episode 70

A thorn between two roses

I’m up to Episode 101 now! David Devilchild is sketching pictures of a hanged man. Even his ditzy Auntie hates him .... “If you see David, hit him over the head for me. Preferably with a crowbar”. Charming.

That's exactly what my teachers decided during art lessons when they found me drawing up plans for universal conquest. And look what happened to them...

At the start of every episode (for now) Victoria Winters does a voice-over monologue. Today’s was a classic:-

My name is Victoria Winters. Instead of being a home, Collinwood has turned into a chamber of horrors for me. At least I expected to be safe inside my locked room, but at Collinwood locks don't seem to fulfill the function for which they were designed.

Oh and Roger has visited the decanter again.

“I know you think I’m being melodramatic” says Elizabeth Collins Stoddard. Hell yeah that’s the premise of the whole show

Victoria Winters is an extremely unlucky lady. She’s gotten herself kidnapped twice in as many days ..... by the same man!

Uncle Roger at the decanter again.

Episode 123, and there’s a stranger in town. Only maybe she’s not so strange, as she knows a lot about Collinsport and the Collins family .....

It starts getting pretty good around now. I really liked the Laura Collins storyline.

Laura Collins is very creepy. Especially when she appears as a giant disembodied head at the end of your bed

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    Laura Collins is very creepy. Especially when she appears as a giant disembodied head at the end of your bed

Keep watching. The plots start moving faster- that being the ones you like. The music on the Blue Whale jukebox will set your toes a tapping.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

It’s episode 149, and things are indeed hotting up, with an increasing number of ghostly manifestations and a painting with a life of its own.

I know the feeling - the portrait of Great Uncle Ethelred Wallis continues to this day to complain about the price of magnolias.

Episode 210 and Barnabas has arrived!! Well his hand has arrived anyway

Are you still watching Dark Shadows, Dave? Surely you couldn't have stopped following a scene like that?