Default So What Did You Make Of Series 10?

So now that it's over (Or should we wait for the Christmas Special to make this thread?) how have you found this series?

I liked it a lot. Huge dip in the middle but it's heights were the best the show has been.
    Very disappointed it didn't capture people's imagination in the ratings. But yesterday's episode was still the third most watched BBC show that night.
    I felt it was a great idea having Nardole being the comedy rod leaving Capaldi to really be as Doctorish as possible.
    Bill as an idea was a change but I felt some writers got her better than others.
    I felt the stories were more satisfying than the last two years. And isn't it always the same? Just when the actor really becomes The Doctor... Off they pop!
    My favourite episode is tied between Oxygen or World Enough And Time.
    There hasn't been a truly godawful episode unlike the previous series. My only disappointment was how the Monks trilogy didn't work as well.

How did you find the series as a whole?

I think you have summed that up perfectly for me. Oxygen was my favourite story in my favourite series produced by the Moff. The Monk trilogy didn't work for me either
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Yes, you've pretty much nailed it for me too, Dino. Shame the ratings weren't 'smash hit' numbers, but it's probably more important how we fare against other shows rather than the numbers themselves - and in that sense it's still a big show.

The Monk trilogy fell a little bit flat, not really sure why - the ideas in its last instalment were fascinating, but it just seemed to be over too quickly and too easily, and as others have said the fake regeneration bit seemed a bit excessive (taking 20 minutes of your episode to rescue the Doctor and get the plot started, is too long I'd say)! But that said, even the episodes which haven't been as good haven't been bad - there's not one I've not enjoyed.

The TARDIS team of Doc, Bill and Nardole was odd but inspired, and although it's a shame we've only got this one series with them it's been a really enjoyable series. Still plenty of 'Moffatisms' in it, but at the same times it's managed to feel a little bit fresh, a little bit different, and definitely a little bit "there's life in the old dog yet"!

I guess now we'll just have to wait for Big Finish to bring the team back in a few years time...

If I'd known that Nardole was returning after The Husbands of River Song, I would not have been happy. Having said that, I really enjoyed him this season, an odd mixture of humour, competence and easily distracted.

I think I'm going to miss him, if he's gone. Even if he still looks like a giant scary baby.

It started off as the best season in years for the first four or five episodes. Never before has a season begun as well as this one did with The Pilot, Smile, Thin Ice...

Unfortunately it all descended into dreariness with the wretched "Monk Trilogy" which offered up the kind of talkly, political Earth "thriller" that we got with the Zygon Invasion last year. This dragged the series right down and was topped off by the forgettable Rona Munro story which was just boring. The Ice Warrior story was a late highlight, and the finale was very good, but the season at a whole is weighed down by the shit in the middle, none of which really went anywhere along with the non-mystery of the Vault which was given huge emphasis then amounted to nothing more than a means of introducing an obvious returning character to be in the finale. Who created the Vault? What was in it and Why? Why was the Doctor tasked with guarding it? Of all the intriguing answers to these questions, the Doctor simply having rescued Missy and bunged her in there for safe keeping wasn't exactly a great pay off.

Bill was excellent, the best companion yet, and Nardole was mildly entertaining but a lot of the time felt added in or unrequired. It was like having Matt Lucas in the background of every episode making the odd joke. Very nice and occasionally funny but why?

Throughout all this Peter Capaldi was outstanding though. We'll miss him!

Si.

I loved that Bill had a proper, complete-feeling story arc. She doesn't need to be mentioned or referred to again (though she's bound to be at Christmas) in the way that Clara or Amy were.

The Monk Trilogy was such a mistake. I do wonder if they were thinking about cutting the season in two at some point and having the Monkerey carrying on over a mid-year cliffhanger. That might have been better in some ways.

That said, Extremis was brilliant as a stand-alone. If they'd have wrapped things up in The Pyramid At The End of The World it would have been a lot more satisfying. Then we could have had an episode of the Doctor and Bill going shopping at Westfield.

However. However.

We were given the best season finale since The Stolen Earth. Complete with a totally unexpected cliffhanger that made me wish Christmas would pick up the pacey and get here tomorrow.

Just want to check this:
    The Pandorica Opens / Big Bang - very good, but not as good as The Doctor Falls. I think.
    A Good Man Goes To War - bit stinky.
    The Wedding of River Song - I remember this not at all.
    The Angels Take Manhattan - Haven't Amy and Rory left yet?
    The Name of The Doctor - So-so.
    Dark Water / Death In Heaven - Wish I didn't remember this one.
    Heaven Sent / Hell Bent - Half decent until Doctor Who eats soup at the Time Lords.

So yes, I'll stand by that statement.

Potentially the greatest season of Doctor Who ever let down by an Excession of Monks.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Yep agree with all that. Peter and Pearl were outstanding, Matt was surprisingly good. Boo to the Monks! (and I don't mean Paul & Jody of course!) I'm really going to miss Missy. I thought Michelle Gomez lit up every scene - the way she spoke, the way she walked. Terrific! And who'd have thought the original Cybermen would become uber cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As you know I'm not really a moaner, but I will have a slight one - the casual manner which regeneration was treated this season, being able to turn it off and on like a tap. To me, regeneration must be like sneezing, vomiting or ejaculating. Once you start there's no going back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To me, regeneration must be like sneezing, vomiting or ejaculating
    Quote of the year, surely!