Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Series 4 Writers CONFIRMED!

yes, it's the news we've all been waiting for!

Doctor Who set for fourth series

Doctor Who will return for a fourth series in 2008, executive producer and writer Russell T Davies has confirmed.

Speaking at the premiere of the third series in London, Davies said: "Series four is officially existing. I'm very excited, but we have known for ages."

But he refused to say whether the star of the hit sci-fi show, David Tennant, would return in the lead role.

The third series, which co-stars Freema Agyeman as new assistant Martha Jones, starts on BBC One on 31 March.

Her character replaces former assistant Rose Tyler, who was written out at the end of the second series after Billie Piper decided to leave the show.

"Billie did a tremendous job," said Agyeman. "I know no-one likes change but the nature of the show is change and hopefully fans will be cool with that and give me a chance."

Davies spoke glowingly of his new star. "I just think people will open their hearts and let her in - they'll love it."

Kiss

Stars including Jonathan Ross, Jo Whiley and Fame Academy coaches David and Carrie Grant attended the premiere in central London.

They saw the first episode of the latest series, which sees Doctor Who share a kiss with his new assistant.

But Tennant, who plays the time-travelling hero, would not talk to reporters about his role in future series.

"Do you know how many times I have been asked that question? Do you know how many times I have answered it?" said the actor.

He was more willing to speak of his affection for Cardiff, where the hit series is filmed.

"Cardiff is a great city and has been very good to us," he said. "It's lovely to film there because everyone is so enthusiastic.

"You try filming in London and everyone's so mean about it and complains that there is a huge camera truck parking in their street.

"Everyone in Cardiff seems to welcome us with open arms. God bless you all, frankly."
    whoopee!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Wayne Guest

But he refused to say whether the star of the hit sci-fi show, David Tennant, would return in the lead role.

But Tennant, who plays the time-travelling hero, would not talk to reporters about his role in future series.
    Fingers crossed, everyone!

My guess has always been that he would do 3 series & then move on.

It's great to have it confirmed at last!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

As long as he does Series 4, he can go at the end. That'll be mid-2008, three years and we'll be done with him by then.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Pip says YAY!

Tennant will be off by Christmas and Freema will be crap. We're still doomed!

James has raped my love for this!

great to know it's finally been confirmed now we can spend the next few months with will he or wont he do series 3.

I don't really mind, although having finally warmed to him I'd rather like to see Tennant do a full third year in the role. Either way, though, if he is going I hope they keep it under wraps until nearly the end of the current run - knowing Eccleston was going even before his second episode aired was an odd situation to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I if he is going I hope they keep it under wraps until nearly the end of the current run - knowing Eccleston was going even before his second episode aired was an odd situation to be in.
    I think in this internet mass media crazy world we live in today the chances of keeping that seceret are non existant..

I wouldn't mind Tennant going half way through series 4 (if he is going to leave, if he wants to stay thats fine by me!), that way viewers could get used to the new Doctor before the fifth series starts.

I still find it all a bit odd though, at least when you compare it with how US shows are run, and I would be much happier with a system where the new Doctor is contractually obliged to do at least a certain number of years.

I know the stars often moan about how hard work it is, but then all those US actors seem to manage it well. Look at poor old Keifer Sutherland, he routinely gets beaten up and shot at and killed during every season of 24, but he still comes back to do more each year!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I wouldn't mind Tennant going half way through series 4 (if he is going to leave, if he wants to stay thats fine by me!), that way viewers could get used to the new Doctor before the fifth series starts.

I still find it all a bit odd though, at least when you compare it with how US shows are run, and I would be much happier with a system where the new Doctor is contractually obliged to do at least a certain number of years.

I know the stars often moan about how hard work it is, but then all those US actors seem to manage it well. Look at poor old Keifer Sutherland, he routinely gets beaten up and shot at and killed during every season of 24, but he still comes back to do more each year!
    well that has certainly been one of the rumours flying around that he will go half way through series 4 though for me that will only work if we are guaranteed a 5th series if not he might as well stay.

this was in todays Mirror

THE £1M DOCTOR
    EXCLUSIVE TENNANT SIGNS UP FOR FOURTH SERIES
    By Nicola Methven, Tv Editor Nicola.Methven@Mirror.Co.Uk 23/03/2007
    More Showbiz
    DAVID Tennant has agreed a 1million deal to star in the fourth series of Doctor Who, it was revealed last night.

Despite false reports suggesting the 35-year-old would bow out halfway through next year's run, insiders have revealed he will film the full 13 episodes.

Delighted BBC bosses are thrilled to be keeping the Scot, who has proved a smash-hit with viewers since taking over from Christopher Eccleston last year.

They are overjoyed to have retained Tennant and writer Russell T Davies and have been impressed by new assistant Freema Agyeman, 27.

One source said: "To be honest, David was never going anywhere. He loves to create an air of mystery about his role in Doctor Who, and when he might leave, so he's happy for people to speculate about his departure.

"But the truth is he's finished filming the third series and he's signed a contract to appear in the whole of the next series. That will see him filming throughout 2008. It's brilliant for the show and the fans."

Rumours Tennant had quit were sparked when he told a magazine he had made a decision over when to leave. But he added: "It's judging the right moment to go. Anything can happen. Everything can change."

A BBC spokeswoman said: "It's too early to talk about the fourth series yet."

Pip Madeley Guest

It sounds pretty right to me.

just gose to show how much the BBC care about Doctor Who if they are prepared to pay Tennent, 1m to do series 4 .

To be honest, David was never going anywhere. He loves to create an air of mystery about his role in Doctor Who
    Awww, David Tennant he's AMaaayyyyZZZing!!! Come here, I am going to give YOU a HUG!!!!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Well Im very pleased about this (assuming its true of course). Tennant still isnt my favourite Doctor but I am warming to him. Besides I dont like the idea of changing the Doctor to quickly (not for the reason of running out of regenerations, because as Si Hunt often says, its a Sci-fi show so writers can always think of a way round that issue should the need ever arise), but purely because I think its good when the public have enough time to really get to know a version of a character before it all changes again.
    It kind of makes the regeneration more emotional when it does happen as you feel more like you are losing someone that you know well.
    Having said all that the 9th Doctors regeneration to the 10th was still pretty emotional Oh well, thats my argument blown out the water then!!!!

He loves to create an air of mystery about his role in Doctor Who, and when he might leave,
    Because he always seems so comfortable when they keep asking him doesn't he?

This is bollocks I'm afraid. It would contradict his statement that he's decided when to go. And who do YOU think is most likely to be lying?

Si.

I'm always doubtful when "one source" says anything. It's almost always wrong, or at least, not quite right.

Si xx

The Sun have been slow to pick up on the news that The Mirror has announced, they're still reporting that Matt Lucas wants to take over if/when Tennent leaves. They even give a few choices of replacements and say that Life On Mars star John Simm is 4/1 favourite to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    . They even give a few choices of replacements and say that Life On Mars star John Simm is 4/1 favourite to take it.
    well with him already being in series 3, Simm, IMO is a non starter I think there might be some truth in what the Mirror, reports simply because if Tennent was to leave at the end of series 3 I don't believe it;s some thing they could keep seceret,.

And if Simm is to play who we are led to believe he's playing, then surely in a semi-recurring role he'd be unable to play The Doctor anyway.

Yes, well most top film and TV series have someone called Spokesman Said working on them. Gets about doesn't he. And he always talks out of his elbow, doesn't he?

My Aunt Dolly would play the Doctor for a fiver btw.

Acoording to Media Guardian it looks like Tennant might still be on board for a third season....

Doctor Who is back on BBC1 this Saturday, as you cannot fail to have noticed. But has David Tennant signed up for another series? The question is put to him at every press conference, and every time he declines to answer. But Monkey can reveal that it's not because he hasn't made his mind up. He has. Fans will be pleased to learn that a third series with Tennant in the lead role is guaranteed.
    Si xx