Thread: Shada 2017!

Default Shada 2017!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/get-a-first-...-in-1819298992

Shada is coming back yet again, this time to Blu-Ray and DVD in fully animated form!

The digital download will be available on 24th November and the Blu-Ray & DVD release will follow on December 4th. Finally we can see what Shada wouldn't have looked like had they finished filming it in 1979!

Blu Ray/DVD - Bonus Material

* Taken Out of Time (25’ 39")
    * Now and Then (12’ 45")
    * Strike, Strike, Strike! (27’ 50")
    * Studio Sessions - 1979 (44’ 38")
    * Dialogue Sessions (14’ 16")
    * Model Filming (04’ 36")
    * Deleted Scenes (01’ 22")
    * Title Sequence Films (TBC)
    * Live Action Reference Footage (02’ 48")
    * 1979 Gallery (04’ 50")
    * 2017 Gallery (02’ 52)
    Sounds a pretty good package, even if Shada is starting to get a little over familiar.

This has especially been the case for one Superfan who funded their own version of Shada at a reported cost of £41,000, money they could ill-afford. The BBC comissioned their own version of the project rather than reimburse the Superfan for their expense, which has caused some controversy. Also the cover designers were dropped at the last minute and replaced with somebody else. Tut!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I find the whole issues that Ian Levine has apparently raised completely bizarre. Why would the Beeb pay him anything in way of reimbursement for a fan made vanity project and why should the Beeb have considered using that same work with instead of going for something more professional.

Looking forward to this coming out by the way.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I find the whole issues that Ian Levine has apparently raised completely bizarre. Why would the Beeb pay him anything in way of reimbursement for a fan made vanity project and why should the Beeb have considered using that same work with instead of going for something more professional.
    The phrase "law unto himself" comes to mind...

He was obviously deluded enough to think that the BBC would choose to buy his version to release commercially. However, I can only assume that in going ahead and making his version without being commissioned to do he wouldn't have had permission from the Douglas Adams estate and also the fact that the surviving footage which he incorporated into his version is BBC property so there's all sorts of rights issues involved and that's before we even get to the use of an impersonator for Tom. I suspect they probably decided that even if they could waive all the rights issues it would've created a dangerous precedent which would potentially undermine BBC Worldwide's commercial ownership of Doctor Who.
    It will be interesting to see how this new version works with having some of the surviving footage combined. Hopefully the switching between the two versions won't be too jarring.
    Last edited by Richard Brinck-Johnsen; 16th Oct 2017 at 4:52 PM. Reason: grammar mistakes

The animation for the Ian Levine version is really shoddy imho, so I'm glad they've decided against releasing it.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

What next:

Shada: The Comic Book
    Shada: The Pantomime
    Shada: The Flamethrower

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Betts View Post
    Shada: The Pantomime
    Christmas is coming... And to capitalise, we could have a cuddly Romana toy that discusses her life as a Time Tot when you pull the string in the back. Or a similar Cuddly Chronotis - pull the string - "One lump or two? Sugar?"

Perhaps it's past my bedtime...

The little teasers I've seen look fab, especially Mark Ayres' new score, which sounds very like Dudley Simpson (more so than Keff's did, but then that isn't hard!)

I'm waiting for the blu ray next week. Has anyone seen the download version yet?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Apparently they cribbed some of Carey's lines from his Traken appearance.

Shame they didn't use audio from his role in Timelash:

Chronotis: "You may be wondering how i learnt of your treason."

Doctor: "Whaaat?"

Watched about half of this last night - it's absolutely superb. The print is crystal clear, the new music from Mark Ayres is up there with the best of Dudley Simpson and captures the style perfectly and the animation is great.

I didn't realise that they were mixing in the animation with the live footage, but it makes perfect sense to do it this way. It also makes it clear just how much was actually filmed; most of parts 1 and 2 seems to consist of Professor Chronotis trying to remember things while the fourth Doctor and Romana prompt him.

Shada is such an odd story. Even if they had finished it, it would still be a very odd story. However I am enjoying it in this version far more than I have ever done before. Bravo.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!