Default The Flaming Lips - The Musical

From The Rolling Who (stone)

A few weeks ago we broke the news that Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne has been collaborating with Tony-Award winning director/producer Des McAnuff to turn the bands 2002 album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots into a Broadway musical. Now there are reports that the project has an official and unlikely scribe: West Wing and Studio 60″ creator Aaron Sorkin. (Apparently McAnuff, who will be overseeing the show, recommended Sorkin for the job after directing the TV potentates play, The Farnsworth Invention.)

Coyne told our Andy Greene that theres still some creative work to be done to turn the conceptual album into a fleshed-out narrative. Well have to write some connecting songs. Theyll be one song about love or death or something and you connect it with another song about love or death and in the middle you tell a more precise story-line moment. Those are the things well probably be writing. Coyne & Co. are apparently just as excited to see the end result as we are: Most songwriters and performers love nothing more than knowing, What the f*** are we singing about?
    There's a musical I'd like to see! Robots, music by The Flaming Lips, er... an enormous pay out to Cat Stevens... superb!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Oh my! Are we going to Broadway then to see it?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'd love to see this, Yoshimi's my favourite Lips album, though the Soft Bulletin comes a close second. Could I hide in one of your suitcases if you do go? A cheese sandwich and a bottle of tango should keep me alive during the long flight I'm sure. Just as long as your luggage doesn't go missing, I should live throught it all a-okay!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

ooooh a prog musical!

can I hide in the other suitcase?

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

The Killers, Flaming Lips and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs have contributed previously unreleased tracks to the forthcoming 'Spider-Man 3'soundtrack.
    Snow Patrol, The Walkmen, Jet and Wolfmother have also provided songs for the film, which is due to hit US theatres May 4.
    'Spider-Man 3' co-star Kirsten Dunst collaborates with actor Jason Schwartzman on the track 'Summer Day'.
    Snow Patrol's 'Signal Fire', is the album's lead single and is currently receiving US radio airplay.
    The soundtrack is scheduled for a May 1 release via the Record Collection label.

The complete tracklisting is:

Snow Patrol - 'Signal Fire'
    The Killers - 'Move Away'
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - 'Sealings'
    Wolfmother - 'Pleased To Meet You'
    The Walkmen - 'Red River'
    Black Mountain - 'Stay Free'
    Flaming Lips - 'The Supreme Being Teaches Spider-Man How To Be In Love'
    Simon Dawes - 'Scared Of Myself'
    Chubby Checker - 'The Twist'
    Rogue Wave - 'Sight Lines'
    Jason Schwartzman (featuring Kirsten Dunst) - 'Summer Day'
    Jet - 'Falling Star'
    Sounds Under Radio - 'Portrait of A Summer Thief'
    Wyos (Wasted Youth Orchestra) - 'A Letter To St Jude'
    The Oohlas - 'Small Parts'
    Good song title there, Mr.Coyne

Are the Yeah Yeah Yeahs singing about baby seals though?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!