Default The Collection - Season 12 - questions

Hi there, newbie here (so apologies if this has been covered before; I did a search first).

Got a couple of questions for you:

1. Will the new Season 12 release see a slimmer release? I love the Limited Edition packaging (apart from the wrong logo), but it's massively wide and I'm not looking forward to 26 seasons of THAT width on my shelf. A slimline release would be much more preferable.
    2. Any news on which season is next? And when?

That's all from me. Cheers.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to still see new blood here. I can't answer your second question. I have no idea what season is planned next. However, to your first question, I am honestly not sure, but in all honestly the width doesn't bother me. It's substantially narrower than the season on its individual DVD releases, which in turn took up a lot less space than the VHS releases!

Considering we were told we were only going to get Spearhead From Space put on Blu-ray, it's a wonder it happened at all. The technical reasons supposedly stopping any more classic era stuff peing put out must have been ironed out.

There are rumours of my favourite season coming next, Season 18. Christopher H Bidmead mentioned doing a new interview on twitter and was pictured with Andrew Smith and Stephen Gallagher... So fingers crossed!

The season 12 set is gorgeous. I was sceptical but I'm absolutely delighted by it!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Season 18 would be an interesting choice for sure. I'd assumed seasons 13 & 14 were most likely to be next in-line get the Blu Ray treatment, or possibly one of the Pertwee seasons. If they're not going strictly chronological I'd love to see one of the other 80s seasons get the treatment sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    Considering we were told we were only going to get Spearhead From Space put on Blu-ray, it's a wonder it happened at all. The technical reasons supposedly stopping any more classic era stuff peing put out must have been ironed out.
    I'm not sure there were any technical issues stopping it, just that until recently it wasn't worth it. Working off the original materials only the raw film inserts could have benefited (which was why Spearhead got a blu-ray reease: all of it being on film the whole story would benefit from the increased resolution possible on blu-ray). Producing a hi-def rendering of a 625 line video recording won't make any difference. DVD already provides the resolution required to effectively render it.

I guess now they've found it possible and commercially viable to artificially upscale the video resolution with various image processing techniques, hence a blu-ray release being worthwhile.

Will probaby still be some time before anything prior to season 12 sees a blu-ray release given the state of the archive material, even with the restoration done for DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    Working off the original materials only the raw film inserts could have benefited (which was why Spearhead got a blu-ray reease: all of it being on film the whole story would benefit from the increased resolution possible on blu-ray). Producing a hi-def rendering of a 625 line video recording won't make any difference. DVD already provides the resolution required to effectively render it.
    I'd been led to believe that they couldn't remaster the original 625-line tapes to HD res.
    Even if they can't, they probably no can, as you say, remaster the DVDs.

Nice to see you back btw.

Was Season 12 a limited edition? I have now bought seasons 18 and 19 but can't find any stock of season 12 anywhere.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I don't know if it was intentionally, or if they underestimated the numbers or what, but I noticed last year it went out of stock everywhere almost straightaway - which was rather irritating, since I was hoping to get it for a birthday present!!

So was I but as that never happened, I thought I'd buy it myself. I certainly hope they will be producing more as I have more or less committed myself to buying this collection.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I haven't seen anything saying they're making more of them available. I think the best bet is getting a set from overseas. The Australian set at least matches the UK packaging

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I don't know if my DVD player will play Australian region DVD's. I will have to read up as I don't even know which region of DVD they use.

Edit;

Google has it's uses I suppose. Australia use Region B, which coincidently, so do we. That may be a great shout Si. Thanks.

I'm coming to Blu Ray for the first time, and am still a bit baffled.
    No Australian retailers seem to have any left, but according to this eBay listing, the set is Region Free anyway?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Doctor-W...53.m1438.l2649

Well I finally got one.
    My step-daughter went to America to visit family and brought me one back for the equivalent in sterling of 32 quid.
    I haven't had chance to look at it yet, but I've now re-assembled my Dr Who dvd/bluray collection, all except for Season 10, which gets released on Blu-Ray over here next month.

Hi all, after much anticipation the official announcement has just confirmed that Season 12 The Collection Blu ray will be available in a limited re-release from March 2nd and is available to pre-order from amazon, HMV and Zavvi now.