I don't know if I've ever shared this link before, but here are a selection of photos which I find pretty amazing and have found myself repeatedly drawn to over the past few years. Most photographs taken in the early years of the 20th Century are grainy, blurry and in b&w. These photos though are anything but...they're in full vibrant colour and crystal clear; it's hard to believe they were taken around 1910 or so. They haven't been colourised digitally, they're a composite of 3 identical photos taken with different colour filtered plates by a photographer given the job of photographing the Russian Empire for the Tzar.

https://twistedsifter.com/2015/04/ra...100-years-ago/

Every time I see these images and the others in the collection, it makes we look further into the history of photography, and there are some really interesting photos to be found online such as the first photograph ever of a person. Although it's debatable as to what consitutes the first ever human photograph....here's one from 1839,featuring keen amateur photographer Robert Cornelius. This is the earliest known photographic portrait - although you could also classify it as the first selfie!

However,the earliest known photographic image of a human being is thought to be this, from a cityscape by Louis Daguerre. The figure is at the bottom left,and shows a man having his shoes shined. The only reason that the person is actually visible on the photo is that he stood still long enough to register on the rather lengthy exposure...there were doubtless many other people on the scene at the time but as they were all on the move they didn't register on the photographic plate!

Here's another I like...the earliest born person ever thought to be photographed. Conrad Heyer, here photographed at the age of 103 in 1852, was born in 1749 and served with George Washington during the American Revolution in 1776. No older, or at least earlier born, human being is known to have been caught on film.

Is anyone else interested in history through old photos?