Thread: The Shadows

Default The Shadows

In a very round about way my new avatar of Christine Keeler was inspired by The Shadows...let me explain! I've been trying to get hold of a DVD of the 1989 film "Scandal", the re-telling of the 1963 Purfumo political scandal. Anyway, there's a fantastic sexy scene in that film where Joanne Whalley (as Keeler) and Bridget Fonda (as Mandy Rice-Davies) are applying their make-up and clobber before going out on the razz, and the seven inch on the record player (and on the soundtrack) is "Apache", which spent 5 weeks at no.1 in 1960. Cue close ups of lippy and eye shadow being applied.
    "Apache"...warpaint..make-up..geddit??
    Either way, because of that it has become one of my all time favourite "Going out songs" (music you play just prior to hitting town)- an idea for another thread perhaps??

But I digress! The shadows were (I argue) Britian's most influential guitar group of the pre-Beatles era, and their guitar licks epitomise the sixties before they really went 'swinging'. They had five UK number ones (all pre-1964 I think), which is quite impressive, especially as a purely instrumental group. Hank Marvin had the first Fender Stratocaster in the UK apparently, which was one well expensive guitar back in the day. Good job he got his money's worth out of it eh?
    The Shadows creative stock has probably fallen a great deal over the yers (perhasp even as far back as the late '60s when they just didn't fit the times anymore, with psychedelia and flower power all the rage). They are often ignored by younger music fans in favour of the guitar work of Hendrix or Cream or later bands....but they influenced so many artistes that went on to arguably eclipse them. Their strong ties with Cliff Richard probably hasn't done them any favours in the credibility stakes either, although I have to say I do like some of Cliff's earlier singles, although he always had a twee quality.
    So, what do you think of the Shadows?
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 22nd Mar 2007 at 9:26 PM.

Wayne Guest

I grew up on The Shadows via my Dad's records, & i'm still very fond of them! Of all my Dad's Rock 'n' Roll (& related) records, Somehow i was especially drawn to the instrumental records of the Shadows at a very early age. I still have a strong sense of nostalgia for those green Columbia Records singles of The Shads, & Cliff & the Shads.

By the time i was 9 or 10, & everyone else my age was into Sweet & Slade etc... I was investigating the Shadows even further by borrowing any records that aunties & uncles or friends of my Mum & Dad might have by them, which included several EP's & LP's that even my Dad didn't have.
    My favourites of their instrumental classics is their version of 'Man of Mystery' (1960), which was used back in the day as the theme tune for 'The Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre', & their own composition: 'The Savage'. (1962)
    I also have a nostalgic fondness for the early Cliff & the Shads records on the Columbia label, even though they didn't rock like Elvis & the rest of the american rock & rollers, they probably came closest with their 1959 single 'High Class Baby', which is my personal favourite, & probably their most up tempo rocker, before Cliff started going down the pop road shortly after. (Although to be fair i like some of those as well - They've been imprinted on me since i was in the womb, i think)
    Hank Marvin was typically modest on his 'This is Your Life' show, when Eamon Andrews said to him: "Hank, you were the first 'guitar hero', " - To be which Hank replied: "No, that was Django Reinhardt!" A clue to his roots there, & it's interesting to note that all these years later, Hank has taken to learning the art of gypsy/jazz guitar, as pioneered by Django back in the 30's, & is a regular at jam sessions at the annual "Django Reinhardt Festival" in Samois-sur-Seine, in France. :wayne Although i've been to that festival many times, i've not had the pleasure of meeting Hank, but if i ever did, i would certainly want to thank him for his contribution not just to music, & to the guitar, but for his personal (albeit 2nd generation) influence.
    As Carol says: they didn't really change with the times, & in their latter years they churned just churned out instrumental versions of other people's hits, but in their heyday, the Shadows were great!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I grew up on The Shadows via my Dad's records, & i'm still very fond of them! Of all my Dad's Rock 'n' Roll (& related) records, Somehow i was especially drawn to the instrumental records of the Shadows at a very early age. I still have a strong sense of nostalgia for those green Columbia Records singles of The Shads, & Cliff & the Shads.
    I have a few of those as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    As Carol says: they didn't really change with the times, & in their latter years they churned just churned out instrumental versions of other people's hits, but in their heyday, the Shadows were great!
    I know I said that, I just can't recall when (certainly not just then!). Is that off the old board??

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    I have a few of those as well!
    Yay!

I know I said that, I just can't recall when (certainly not just then!). Is that off the old board??
    You said above:
    perhasp even as far back as the late '60s when they just didn't fit the times anymore, with psychedelia and flower power all the rage
    It would've been more accurate for me have used the word 'implied' perhaps, but essentially they didn't really change with the times, at least not in a progressive way. Although they did try to go back their roots as a vocal group (their first single 'Feelin' Fine' was a vocal effort, but flopped) for a while, & achieved Eurovision success (if i remember rightly) with 'Let Me Be the One'. (?)

If you get chance, checkout Bruce Welch's autobiography. It's interesting stuff. (Though it's been about 10yrs since i read it)

Wonderful Land was/is a favourite Shads track of mine. It brings back so many ethereal memories of when I was an innocent 7 year old. There was a lot to discover in those far off, innocent days, it was indeed a wonderful land.

'Wonderful Land' is one of the finest singles of all time, in my opinion. I too grew up listening to The Shadows and (yes, I know...) Cliff - despite this being the late seventies/early eighties, there were many of those old records in the house, including old Columbia 45's (I still have some of them now, including 'Wonderful Land'), and this is what we listened to more than anything (this is why, from an early age, I've always tended to prefer older music than contempirary).

It's true that they get somewhat overlooked these days, but there is little doubt that The Shadows are one of the most influential (and successful!) British bands ever. They've spent hundreds of weeks on the charts, and I doubt there are many fledgling guitarists of the last forty or so years who haven't learned to play the instrument strumming along to the likes of 'Apache' and 'Foot Tapper'.

I went to see them live two years ago, still the core trio of Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch and Brian Bennett, and they were fantastic. They may not put on an huge, expensive show with lights and back projection, but being such brilliant musicians, they don't need to. It was an honour to see such legends.

And yes, they still do the 'Shadows dance'.