Hybrid View

Default Rate and Discuss: It Takes You Away

Penultimate episode of the season already - so what did you think of Doctor Who's very own 'scandi-drama'?

I quite liked this one, some of the dialogue was clunky again early on but once they went through the mirror it was a lot of daft fun, and I liked that the whole frog thing, though judging by twitter and digital spy not many people agree with me. I thought it was Jodie's best performance yet too, and it's always a pleasure to see Kevin Eldon pop up, though it's a shame he wasn't in it more. Still, as he was in monster make up there's no reason they can't bring him back in a few season's time. 7.5/10
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

On Google the Express has a story that this episode's ending angered fans.
    Daily Express writers, get out more!

I really enjoyed this weeks. Last week was more fun this was the weirdest from this series. 9/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    On Google the Express has a story that this episode's ending angered fans.
    Daily Express writers, get out more!

I really enjoyed this weeks. Last week was more fun this was the weirdest from this series. 9/10.
    All it takes these days is finding a couple of tweets from angry types and bang, you got yourself a story which of course ignores all of the people who thought differently. Ah, the joys of the social media age.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

It mightn't just be angry types. The number of stories going around in the press, whether true or not, that the series isn't popular any more, the viewing figures are going down, whatever variation you want to play on the theme - it just takes someone in the press to see a couple of reviews that are a couple of lines long and which amount to the episode being a bit meh, and they decide fans are being dismissive, therefore overly critical, ergo.... But then they've been like that some time, we should be used to it.
    And with the pro/anti SJW and pro/anti Moffat recently, they've come across a lot of "healthy discussion" in fan media recently - if you can't find news, make it, or at least exaggerate what's there.

It's D&D week, with a mysterious portal, a land of illusion, a sneaky goblin, flesh-eating moths that grow as they feed on you (!!!), a dungeon crawl, a balloon of light - and, just to remind you it's DW, an unconvincing frog that looked animatronic and would have been rejected for Survival if they'd used Sea Devils instead of Cheetah People. It was all going so well til then... And my Granny 1 complained enough about Granny 2 - if I had another five lying around somewhere...

7/10

The second half of the series has on the whole been much better than the first, so far, I should add.

I liked it... Except, bit talky. I'd have liked the Doctor to work out/discover what was going on, rather than conveniently remember some old fairy story.
    And... The frog. It didn't convince at all I'm afraid as a 'real' creature, which for me at least slightly undermined what could/should have been a strong ending.