Default Remaking Lost Doctor Who Episodes...

Has anyone watched any of the 3 'lost' Dad's Army episodes which were recently remade and broadcast on Gold? They may not have been perfect (it's hard to successfully recreate a cast of characters so diverse but they made a better job of it than the recent movie did) but the fact that they were working from the original scripts rather than updating them helped immensely.

In particular was the episode A Stripe For Frazer, which was animated in a similar manner to the Doctor Who animations...personally I found the newly remade episode much easier to watch (and funnier too) than the animated version, which I struggled to watch. As someone who also generally struggles with the Doctor Who animations (even though I appreciate the effort involved to bring these lost stories back to life) Dad's Army seemed like a perfect example of how to bring lost episodes of a series back to life...

Of course, remaking lost Doctor Who episodes would be a much more expensive and challenging prospect than Dad's Army. And would anyone involved in such a project be able to stick to the scripts as they were originally written, ignoring any temptations to update them to be more relevant to a modern audience?

All the same, after the Dad's Army episodes it's something I'd love to see. Am I the only one?

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Of course, remaking lost Doctor Who episodes would be a much more expensive and challenging prospect than Dad's Army. And would anyone involved in such a project be able to stick to the scripts as they were originally written, ignoring any temptations to update them to be more relevant to a modern audience?

All the same, after the Dad's Army episodes it's something I'd love to see. Am I the only one?
    I wouldn't mind seeing the remake of Mission To The Unknown for that matter, if anybody knows if/where that's available. And I've been meaning to keep an eye out for the Dad's Army episodes.

I'd like to see that too, although I'm not sure that it's available anywhere at the moment. I like a couple of words used to describe it when I google the episode...recreation and remount are more accurate terms than remake, which in itself suggests an update. And both these terms apply to the Dads Army episodes as well, which is why I think they work.

The other famous remount/remake being Kitten Kong, That Episode Of The Goodies. Parts of it were rewritten and rerecorded so that the BBC could put it forward as their entry for the Golden Rose of Montreaux - they had to do that because the rules for entry meant they couldn't just put the original programme forward. They got the Silver Rose because ITV won with a compilation edition of It's Marty [as in Feldman]. Graeme and Bill were naturally annoyed, because all of It's Marty had been seen before, but it won on a technicality; the clips hadn't been seen in that precise order before. Tim didn't mind as much though as he had major roles in both shows!

As it turns out, the new version of Mission to The Unknown will be premiered on the YouTube Doctor Who Channel at 5.50 BST on 9th of October, followed by a making of doc.

Thanks for the heads-up, Stuart. This should be interesting. I'm really looking forward to it!

Can't wait and by this time tomorrow we'll have saw it. (Wanted to post on here but missed step with the last season games, I promise to take part in the next championship but maybe that's a reason of nothing Who to talk about!)

I thought it was very good overall. Yes one of the Daleks was a bit ropey and Malpha's Barnsley accent was interesting but it was quite a triumph and felt like watching a 60s episode.

Well done to all involved!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Were some of the Dalek 'group shots' done with models, they looked a little like it at some points?

I thought overall it was really good, there was something just very very exciting about seeing those 'Dalek delegate' scenes - although as you say, Si, the Malpha accent was interesting. Clearly lots of planets really do have a North!

He wasn't. I know he wasn't. You will post "No he wasn't" but Malpha. Was he played by either Trevor or Simon?
    Anyway, that aside that was pretty good. Not falling over myself to watch it again but it was quite faithful to how the show used to be made.
    If it was this standard I'd be OK with some stories being recast, including The Doctor if it meant we had an entire story remade.
    Or is that too far?