Thread: Carry On Films

Default Carry On Films

Having been bought the Carry On Collection by my two eldest children as a recent birthday present, I've started watching the films in order. I thought I'd post up a few thoughts about each film and add an ongoing rankings list too. Before I start on the individual film thoughts, I first wanted to mention how much I've enjoyed the Trivia Notes extra feature for each film. I've found the few snippets really interesting.

So, I've currently watched the first four films.

Carry On Sergeant:
    I've always enjoyed this one, and I can't deny that some of this is due to William Hartnell having a role in the film. However, the highlight of this film for me is the character of Horace as played by the wonderful Kenneth Connor. Despite being the first film in what was to be a long running franchise, certain character facets, actor choices and the humour is very much in keeping with what the Carry On films would go on to be remembered for.

Carry On Nurse:
    Another really enjoyable film, with Leslie Phillips and Joan Sims joining the ensemble at this point. I love seeing Joan Hickson, who I almost always associate with Miss Marple in a comedic role. Again, loving Kenneth Connor's character but in a slightly different less bumbling role, and of course who could ignore the great Daffodil scene. Not quite as good as Sergeant for me, but not far behind.

Carry on Teacher:
    I love the dynamic between Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey's characters in this film, and as ever, enjoy Kenneth Connor's character but there's something I'm not so keen on in this film. I think it might be the kids scenes but it just doesn't feel as good as it's predecessors.

Carry on Constable:
    And finally Sid James joins the Carty On cast. Very similar in some concepts to Sergeant, Constable still manages to make me chuckle with its hapless antics. I love the Williams and Hawtrey scene in the department store dressed as women. The film also sees Shirley Eaton and Terence Longdon start to get more cameo roles rather than meatier parts, which was a shame but perhaps understandable when the focus moves to the more comedic.

So, rankings so far:
    Sergeant
    Nurse
    Constable
    Teacher

Next up Carry on Regardless.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Carry on Regardless:
    I must say, I love the way this one gives different characters their only little storylines. I loved Kenneth Connor's Forth Bridge scene. I wonder if it was this that made Peter Rogers cinsider making Carry on Spying a few years later. A new actor who would go on to be a semi-regular was introduced in Liz Frazer and Sid James has far more to do in this one.

Sergeant
    Nurse
    Regardless
    Constable
    Teacher

I think I've only seen Regardless the once, assuming it's the one with Stanley Unwin...? Like you, Paul, I remember quite enjoying that it was more like a mix of little stories rather than one 'big' one.

Teacher I rather like, it's got quite a sad little story with Ted Ray's character. And Leslie Phillips is of course super!

I love these films! To be honest though, considering how often I've seen many of them
    I'd never even thought about watching them in order! Some I've seen loads of times, and others only once or twice...is Carry On Regardless the one where they all end up in a house they practically demolish (not to be mixed up with the hotel which falls apart around them!)?

Yes, that's Carry On Regardless. I love the scenes with Kenneth Williams' pet walking the chimpanzee and Charles Hawtrey's boxing ring scene too.

And it's the one with Stanley Unwin, and the legendary moment where Kenneth Williams tells Sid to keep quiet in Unwinese - "Shutty cake'ole!"

(Try giving Ogden's Nut Gone Flake by the Small Faces btw. Apart from some great music, it has Stanley narrating a psychedelic fairy story on side two. "Are youl sitty cumftybold two-square on your botty? Then I'll begin.")

Williams and Hawtrey are such an overlooked double act! Such a pity they didn't apparently get on.

I have always enjoyed the Carry on movies and would love the complete set. Unfortunately, my wife hates the films so they would never get an airing. The same has happened with my complete Bond set. It's still in the wrapper!
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Carry On Cruising:

Definitely one of my favourites from the film series. The two Kenneth's, Connor and Williams are at their superb best league in this high seas caper, whilst Lance Percival is an excellent substitute for Charles Hawtrey who was originally due to play the chef in the film. Dilys Laye makes her first appearance in the series as Flo, Kenneth Connor's love interest in this one.

Cruising
    Sergeant
    Nurse
    Regardless
    Constable
    Teacher

After a break of a couple of months, I've started watching the films again.

Carry on Cabby
    Jim Dale's first appearance in a Carry On film was quite a dull one, but the film itself was pretty good with Sid James on fine form and some great performances from Hattie Jacques and a very different sort of role for Esma Cannon. Amanda Barrie also appeared in a pretty good role as one of the Glam Cabs drivers. Another point to mention is that it was the first of the films not to have an appearance from Kenneth Williams. All told, not a bad entry to the franchise but there had been better already.

Cruising
    Sergeant
    Nurse
    Cabby
    Regardless
    Constable
    Teacher

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I got this set for Christmas! Just after having a quick look, are they out of order or did they jump about a bit between b&w and colour films in the early 60s? I always thought it was a clean switch from b&w to colour but it looks here as if Carry On Cruising, the first colour one, was actually made before Carry On Cabby (B&W) which was followed by Carry On Jack (colour) then Carry On Spying (the final in B&W).

They jumped between colour and b/w. The films are in the correct order in the set. Spying was the last of the b/w's

Carry on Jack

This is a bit of an odd one with only Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey appearing from what could at that point be considered the regular Carry On crew. Jim Dale had a second bit part whilst Bernard Cribbins ably took the lead role. It's also the series' first historical tale and certainly looks good but overall I find this one a little dull.

Cruising

Sergeant

Nurse

Cabby

Regardless

Constable

Teacher

Jack