Having been bought the Carry On Collection by my two eldest children as a recent birthday present, I've started watching the films in order. I thought I'd post up a few thoughts about each film and add an ongoing rankings list too. Before I start on the individual film thoughts, I first wanted to mention how much I've enjoyed the Trivia Notes extra feature for each film. I've found the few snippets really interesting.

So, I've currently watched the first four films.

Carry On Sergeant:
I've always enjoyed this one, and I can't deny that some of this is due to William Hartnell having a role in the film. However, the highlight of this film for me is the character of Horace as played by the wonderful Kenneth Connor. Despite being the first film in what was to be a long running franchise, certain character facets, actor choices and the humour is very much in keeping with what the Carry On films would go on to be remembered for.

Carry On Nurse:
Another really enjoyable film, with Leslie Phillips and Joan Sims joining the ensemble at this point. I love seeing Joan Hickson, who I almost always associate with Miss Marple in a comedic role. Again, loving Kenneth Connor's character but in a slightly different less bumbling role, and of course who could ignore the great Daffodil scene. Not quite as good as Sergeant for me, but not far behind.

Carry on Teacher:
I love the dynamic between Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey's characters in this film, and as ever, enjoy Kenneth Connor's character but there's something I'm not so keen on in this film. I think it might be the kids scenes but it just doesn't feel as good as it's predecessors.

Carry on Constable:
And finally Sid James joins the Carty On cast. Very similar in some concepts to Sergeant, Constable still manages to make me chuckle with its hapless antics. I love the Williams and Hawtrey scene in the department store dressed as women. The film also sees Shirley Eaton and Terence Longdon start to get more cameo roles rather than meatier parts, which was a shame but perhaps understandable when the focus moves to the more comedic.

So, rankings so far:
Sergeant
Nurse
Constable
Teacher

Next up Carry on Regardless.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk