0 0%
  • 3: Cover

0 0%
  • 2: I spy

0 0%
  • 1: Backstop

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: Spyfall, Part 2

A terrifying plan to destroy humanity is about to reach fruition. Can the Doctor and her friends escape multiple traps and defeat a deadly alliance?

What did you think of this conclusion?
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Another eight. Wanted higher but a few things were a bit convenient. But the good was some of the best material filmed!
    Can't even spoil what were my highlights because it comes up in the feed, but oh so many things made me grin that only Doctor Who does this.

Gah, I really liked the first part but I was just a bit bored by this, some of it was good, mostly involving The Master, but Graham, Yaz and Ryan on their lonesome bored me unfortunately, and Lenny Henry turned out to be a bit weak. 5/10
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I pretty much enjoyed season 11 (the last three episodes felt like they needed going over by a good old-school script editor, but other than that...) so, although it's easier to enjoy season 12 so far I'm not sure it's such a big gap between the two - and I'm also not totally convinced that just because the Master's back, and they mentioned Gallifrey, and there's a story arc, that it's automatically better. So... I'm enjoying it, and really enjoyed part 2 last night, but am not quite all a-flutter as they seem to be on Twitter (or all a-twitter as they seem to be on Flutter).

So, on the one hand you could say that the 'on the run' bit was done (and better) by RTD in The Sounds of Drums; and the 'nipping back in time to put in an easy method of escaping certain death' was done (and better) by Moffat.... But, on the other hand, that was 12 years & 8 or 9 years ago, so if you were a new young fan coming on board with Jodie you wouldn't be bothered by that - and to see those 'new' ideas for the first time, they are exciting and innovative.

I really enjoyed the new Master - unlike a new Doctor coming in, the new Masters always have to hit the ground running and Sacha Dhawan absolutely did that. The excursion to Paris 1943 was a bit tenuous, but it gave us that superb scene on the Eiffel Tower which I thought was just fantastic. And I thought it a very good way of reinforcing that these are two, equally-matched, time travellers, by having them meeting up in the 18th Century, then in WW2, before coming back to the present day for the finale.

We don't really know much more about the aliens, but actually that doesn't matter - and their distinctive (lack of) appearance certainly marks them out as different. I'm sure we'll see the Master back again, hopefully Lenny Henry too as otherwise his character just fizzled out.

Nice to see Jodie given a bit more to get her teeth into - confronting the Master, facing Gallifrey, fielding her newly-curious companions... I'd still like to see her given some steel, an "I'm that sort of man" bit from TCI or something akin to the "I think I'm going to have to kill you" from Deep Breath. But still, she's been given more in this story than during much of her first year, so that's all to the good.

But, for all that I sound like I'm moaning, I'm not, and rightly or wrongly I thoroughly enjoyed part 2 as much as part 1 - and at the moment, knowing absolutely NOTHING about any of the rest of the series, it's all rather exciting!!

I enjoyed this, again. It was maybe a bit padded (the Paris stuff didn't add much to the story but it was great to watch) but unlike many modern-era two-parters this concluding episode didn't disappoint.

I don't have much time at the moment but suffice it to say that I'm totally in agreement with most of Andrew's points (although I didn't find Series 11 as enjoyable as he did!) and I loved the scene where the Doctor had to be reminded that she still had to organise the plane-saving stuff set up at the start of the episode...

Nice, after a season and a bit, to have an ending to the story that could allow Jodie's Doctor to develop away from being an irritatingly chirpy cross between Smith and Tennant. Even if it does mean yet another disaster happening to the Time Lords...

Again, a good episode. This is where they went wrong with John Simms and Missy - the Master doesn't have to be mad all day every day. He's at his best when he's not round the twist at all.

Wish we'd got to have the photos of the famous computer geniuses on-screen for longer - only recognised Turing and Bill Gates.

8/10