Default Book Recommendations

So, last year, I set myself a goal of reading at least two books a month (having lagged sorely behind on doing any reading other than business textbooks while doing my MBA).

I'm still working on that goal, and so I would love the recommendations of the denizens of Planet Skaro! Sci-fi and fantasy of all kinds are welcome, as well as any popular history. Hopefully this can work as a repository for mini-reviews (think what you might see on one of those little review cards in Waterstones or Barnes & Noble) of books for the members of the forum to decide what to read.

I'll post again later with a couple of my own recommendations with mini-reviews.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

A bit late to the party perhaps, but I've been reading Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy recently, for the very first time. I'm not usually keen on the fantasy genre, but this is something else - two books in, it's regularly surprising, and I'm about to start the third one before I go to bed tonight! And it's a whopper! (That's not a sentence often bandied around in our bedroom!)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    A bit late to the party perhaps, but I've been reading Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy recently, for the very first time. I'm not usually keen on the fantasy genre, but this is something else - two books in, it's regularly surprising, and I'm about to start the third one before I go to bed tonight! And it's a whopper! (That's not a sentence often bandied around in our bedroom!)
    I re-read these at the end of the last year, and found them just as enjoyable and as engaging as I did when I was 13. Pullman really has a talent for worldbuilding. Then, at the beginning of this year, I started reading through the sequel trilogy (The Book of Dust) - and found it very frustrating that the third in that trilogy hasn't yet been written. I need it now! I guess that good things come to those who wait, right?

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d