0 0%
  • 3 - Left high and dry

0 0%
  • 2 - Rats deserting a sinking ship

0 0%
  • 1 - Abandon ship

0 0%

Default Rate And Discuss: Legend of the Sea Devils

In a swashbuckling pirate adventure, the Doctor, Yaz and Dan come face to fin with one of the Doctor’s oldest adversaries in a coastal village in 19th century China

Madam Ching is on a mission to track down the lost treasure of the Flor de la Mar, a ship that may have been washed up in the waters around the area

The fearsome pirate queen unwittingly unleashes a terrifying, monstrous alien force beneath the sea – Sea Devils and their ghostly amphibious pirate ship

Will the Doctor, Yaz and Dan emerge from this adventure to save the planet? And did Yaz really have to dress Dan up as a pirate?
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Well it was very simple in its story & to be honest I was a bit underwhelmed. It wasn't bad but it was a great either. I have issues with the smoke/fog 'ghosting' of a Sea Devil. It is just out of character.

To give you a flavour of how I saw it, I thought the highlight was the soppy bit at the end & the preview of the Anniversary episode to come.

I thought it was OK - in a normal run it might have been more popular, but unfortunately it has 'Easter Special' thrust upon it. The reason behind Dan swimming out to the pirate ship seemed very tenuous, and the shiny orange stone was obviously just a plot macguffin... But I enjoyed it well enough while it was on.

I agree with you, Tim, that the Sea Devil 'fogging' in and out (like some kind of dry-ice teleport) doesn't seem a natural extension of any previous appearance, but it didn't really bother me.

I wasn't quite sure, when the Sea Devil pirate ship swept in to pick up their leader, right near the start, are we supposed to assume they've been hanging about looking for him for decades, or did his return to life somehow reactivate him?

Actually, I have just remembered one bit that was a bit 'odd' - we saw the Sea Devil pirate ship early on; but then when the Doctor & Yaz enter the underground base the appearance of the ship seemed to be 'bigged up' for a second time. Seemed a bit strange that - I think Chibnall did the same in Revolution of the Daleks, when the Daleks secret base in Japan was dramatically revealed about three times. Very strange.

PS - in as far as it matters, the whole 'Thasmin' (or 'Daz' if you prefer) thing was handled nicely enough. TBH I never go to Doctor Who hoping for the Doctor to get romantic with anybody, but it didn't get in the way of the story and gave Jodie in particular something a bit different to play with.

Another thing I thought odd...just how fast can you set up a trap to catch ...well...anything. Because the Doctor et al got that net & pulley system set up in seconds; even before they knew they needed it it seems.