Pip Madeley Guest

Default Rediscovering a bit of my childhood!

They say nostalgia is a very powerful thing... well, it is.

Back in the early 90s, there was a CBBC series called Uncle Jack, starring Paul Jones (of Manfred Mann fame) in the title role as an eco-warrior/mad scientist. A little like Jon Pertwee - he's even got a mighty nose! It was a comedy-drama for kids, also starring Fenella Fielding as the villainous Vixen. Four series were originally broadcast between 1990 and 1993, the last going out when I was just 8 years old. I'd never seen it since, but it always stuck in my mind. For the last few years, every know and then, it's come back into my mind and I've searched high and low across the net for any information.

Well, last night, I checked YouTube to see if there's any clips. And oh my goodness, there's FULL episodes!

Uncle Jack and the Loch Noch Monster Episode 1, Part 1
    Uncle Jack and the Loch Noch Monster Episode 1, Part 2
    Uncle Jack and the Loch Noch Monster Episode 1, Part 3

Uncle Jack and the Dark Side of the Moon Episode 1, Part 1
    Uncle Jack and the Dark Side of the Moon Episode 1, Part 2
    Uncle Jack and the Dark Side of the Moon Episode 1, Part 3

Uncle Jack and Cleopatra's Mummy titles
    Uncle Jack and Operation Green titles

The title sequence and theme tune sounds so familiar, and I've not seen or heard it for at least fourteen years. It's quite amazing how the brain can recognise these things, even after such a long time. The most interesting thing is that it's so Doctor Who-esque, as if this is what the show would've been like if made by the Children's department at the BBC... perhaps that's why I liked Doctor Who so much a few years later...

Yay for YouTube!

Some nice acting there...and great Scottish accents from the policemen.

Pip Madeley Guest

Did you spot serial killer Richard Hillman in "Loch Noch Monster"? Milky Tears will be pleased with the red hot Jimmy Harkishin action in the "Dark Side of the Moon" episode.

Shame there's no more episodes on there, neither of those have Fenella Fielding in them at all.