View Poll Results: Who is your favourite incidental music composer?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Debney

3 17.65%
  • Murray Gold

14 82.35%

Default The Doctor Who Incidental Music Poll Round 5: The 90s and 00's

Doctor Who burst back onto our screens in 1996, with the TV Movie. New theme and a new composer. It didn't last.

Doctor Who then burst back onto our screens in 2005, with a new series. A new theme arrangement and a new composer. It seems to be lasting

So who is your favourite composer?

John Debney who scored The TV Movie

or

Murray Gold, Doctor Who's current incidental music composer?

Vote now!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

It's got to be Murray Gold, really. I don't everything he's done, but the 'Dalek' choral stuff & the Rose theme for instance, are great.
    Last edited by Wayne; 29th Mar 2007 at 11:55 AM.

Ah, if only there'd been more than one composer for the new series, this might have been almost fair!

Debney wins hands down. Unfortunately for him, Murray is still better. 'Coming in with the jolly bit' can't compare with creating the score for Father's Day, for example
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Murry Gold wins for me. I feel sorry Debney because he's going to lose with out much of a fight. I can only think of two people who'll vote for Debney...although they'll have to concede it as canon if they do.

Going for, going for.... GOLD!

It's got to be Gold. I really liked John Debney's music for the TVM but his theme arrangement took all the mance out of the theme and made it bouncy, which isn't good.

Murray Gold has done some fantastic music for the series though and his theme arrangement is one of the best ever! The new series would be very different without him.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's gotta be Murray Gold.
    The TVM music was ok, but whether you are a fan of Murray or not you have to admire his creative skills - the whole idea of getting in a choir takes some beating!!!

Pip Madeley Guest

Debney did some good work - the music leading up to the Doctor's final departure at the end is quite beautiful - but Murray Gold wins with some of the best Doctor Who music ever, ie. The Girl In The Fireplace/Doomsday.

This is a no-brainer, isn't it? As well as a fantastic arrangement of the theme tune, Murray Gold has produced some wonderfully thrilling and haunting scores, and in fact, in 'Dalek', 'Father's Day', 'The Parting Of The Ways', 'The Girl In The Fireplace' and 'Doomsday', possibly the best music ever heard on 'Doctor Who'.

In fact, I might say that Gold is arguably the best composer the series has ever had...

Don't let Perry hear you say that.

Much as I'd love to vote for Debney with a clear conscience, I can't. I will add though, as others have already said, that I think the score for the TV Movie, including his theme arrangement, is superb. Favourite bits include the first bit of TARDIS console activity with McCoy, the bit where Grace rushes back to the cloister room near the end, the music that accompanies the "This can't be... how it ends" montage... It's a gorgeous score, and if Debney had done more, who knows how the vote would have gone.

But Gold has given the new series a real unifying identity, allowing the show to reuse themes over a season more than it's ever been able or been allowed to before (wasn't Dudley stopped from using his Master theme in The Deadly Assassin?). I won't say he's always on top form - I still find the score for "New Earth" to be rather lazy, and saying that it's deliberately reusing TEOTW doesn't work for me; and the end of "Dalek" really cried out for the shocking contrast of silence. But against that, there's the score at the end of TEOTW, the gloriously uplifting music in Rose, the Dalek choral sound from BW/TPOTW, etc, etc, etc.

I heard that, pardon?

I'll pass on this round I think.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I thought you might, you don't like one & the other isn't canon, IYO.

I voted for Debney because i felt sorry for him-he did a very good job and will lose badly with it not being his fault. Gold is very good though and deserves to win over everyone else.

Murray Gold is a God!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!