Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Glastonbury festival

Can I get into the website to buy tickets? Can I bugger!!

I shall persevere!

Anyone else registered and planning to go?

Captain Tancredi Guest

Wouldn't normally but if you're asking I'm dancing...

No no no. It's a festival-less year for me alas, my first since 2003 I think, and before that it was 1994.

I'm still bitter about being soaked the whole weekend in 2005...I shall only return to Glastonbury when I can afford to take a camper van with it's own shower in it.

Edit: http://www.nme.com/news/glastonbury/27442 - Sorry to post this Carol, but it seems it's sold out already.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Ta Alex...all things considered I had more chance of picking up smarties with my arse cheeks.

Sorry to hear you didn't get a ticket though. The system really needs to be looked in to, it's ridiculous how difficult it is to get tickets...Or perhaps they should just hold two Glastonbury's, with one elsewhere in the country, as with Reading/Leeds and the V fests. Though they might need to change the name if that was the case...

As for the smarties things, you mean you can't do that? I mean, it took me a while, but now it's one of my favourite party tricks.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Adding to Alex's NME link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6511115.stm

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    Glastonbury tickets snapped up

Tickets for the Glastonbury festival have sold out in under two hours.

Fears that a registration system, designed to prevent touting, would put off fans were not realised when 400,000 signed up.

The 137,500 tickets which were available to the public were snapped up just one hour 45 minutes after going on sale on Sunday at 0900 BST.

Organisers said they were happy with how the sales went despite websites and phonelines struggling to cope.

Sell-out

In 2005, when the last Glastonbury Festival took place, tickets sold out in less than three hours - a record in the event's history.

The Arctic Monkeys, Dame Shirley Bassey and The Who will all perform at the festival, but the full line-up will not be released until June.

Michael Eavis, who owns the farm where the festival is based, said: "We had a quarter of a million of people queuing up to get through. It's probably the fastest time we have ever sold out.

"We had coach package tickets as well and people were forced to buy those at the tail end of the sale."

He was also pleased the system of registering and then using a reference number had worked well.

"Its a great system. It's the first time it's ever been done - it's just gone so well it's just unbelievable. The system has worked really, really well and it's a first.

"Unfortunately there will be a lot of people that will be disappointed. Only two in three get through, but such is the demand of the festival - but that is in itself great after 37 years of trying to get it right."

Licence agreed

Tickets without coach travel cost 145 with fans able to buy up to four each.

Over the years, Mr Eavis has massively increased investment into preventing gate-crashers and drug dealers entering the site.

Earlier this week Mendip District Council in Somerset approved a four-year licence deal, securing the festival's future until 2010.

The 177,000 capacity event takes place in Somerset from 22-24 June.
    Too wide/fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Sorry to hear you didn't get a ticket though. The system really needs to be looked in to, it's ridiculous how difficult it is to get tickets...Or perhaps they should just hold two Glastonbury's, with one elsewhere in the country, as with Reading/Leeds and the V fests. Though they might need to change the name if that was the case...
    There can be only one Glastonbury. The place is the whole point of it really. If you had another festival somewhere else it'd be just another festival.

Captain Tancredi Guest

You can bet that the regulation bunch of celebs will be there one way or another, though. It seems like something of a contradiction in terms that something as anti-establishment as a pop festival requires you to register online and then be there at a certain time in order to buy a ticket.

I was briefly tempted to go to the Leeds Festival (as much as anything on the grounds that if I didn't like it I could just get the bus home) but August Bank Holiday weekend is always bad for me. It's the same problem- my mum and dad have birthdays on the 18th and 20th and they always go away, so the bank holiday weekend is always for doing the family stuff that we should have done the week before.

There can be only one Glastonbury. The place is the whole point of it really. If you had another festival somewhere else it'd be just another festival.
    I know what you mean, it's just frustrating as they always seem to have such a great mix of bands, but it's so hard to get tickets.

I've just found out that there's to be a new mini-festival near to where I grew up this year - http://www.redhillandreigatelife.co....ts_goahead.php - so I might go to that as long as they get a few decent bands on.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Captain Tancredi Guest

Ultimately I think festivals are probably one of the things that I'm probably not going to do unless I find somebody to go with. I have no idea what I'd need, what to do, what not to do and I'd be permanently scared of either being robbed or missing something going on. So while it's a nice idea, I doubt that now is the right time.

I think festivals are always more fun with a big group, but I've done a couple with just one friend and they've always been great. I can understand not wanting to go alone though, especially on your first time. Best thing is to try and talk friends in to going, I was reluctant to go to my first fest, but I'm so glad now that I did go!

As for what to do / what not to do - well, the main thing is just to enjoy yourself as much as you can, wander around looking for different bands and/or comedians to watch, there's no right or wrong way to do a festival! I really wouldn't worry about getting robbed either, I think you'd have to be extraordinarily unlucky for that to happen.

My local festival's now not looking so bad, already confirmed are The Young Knives, The Rumble Strips, The Ordinary Boys and reggae collective Easy Star All Stars, plus and up-and-coming acts including Newton Faulkner, Kubicheck, Peyoti for President, Bedmonster, Undercut and the Union of Knives. And that's without any of the headliners being named yet.

Though this quote in the local paper filled me with fear:

A spokesman for Brighton The Levellers said the band had been approached but nothing had been confirmed
    That alone could put me off going...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Ta Alex...all things considered I had more chance of picking up smarties with my arse cheeks.
    That's got to be the funniest thing I've read all week.

(is it possible, I wonder?)

Five minutes later...

(no, it's not)

Trudi G Guest

When i was two, i lived on a farm owed by Michael Eavis (?) - the bloke that owns the Glastonbury field.....i've never been tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    That's got to be the funniest thing I've read all week.

(is it possible, I wonder?)

Five minutes later.

(no, it's not)
    Clench real hard, Pip! Go on! Clench! Clench!

Excellent coverage on BBC Two, Three, Four and BBCi tonight.

Just finished watching Arcade Fire on the BBCi feed.

I've been watching some of it on BBC2, though the annoying clips about the history of the pyramid stage and things like that have bored me. I really want to see Arcade Fire on the highlights show, but if it means having to sit through cack like Artic Monkeys I'm not sure if I'm going to make it.

I'm glad I'm not there this year, it was horrible enough in 2005 when the whole place was a mudbath, but at least then it stopped raining by Friday afternoon and so we didn't have to watch bands soaking wet. Apparently the weather's going to be reasonably shoddy over the whole weekend, which isn't good either.

I can't help but think how lucky I was back in the nineties where I did about 10 festivals in a row with beautiful sunny weather each and every time. Whereas since about 2002, it's rained at one point or another at nearly each one I've gone too.

Lily Allen is making my ears bleed! I think she had her hood up and was drinking a can of Strongbow at the start.

It's picked up since Terry Hall appeared...
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 23rd Jun 2007 at 5:32 PM.

Dave Lewis Guest

Babyshambles destroying Time For Heroes has made my head bleed....

Pip Madeley Guest

I can't stand Babyshambles, they're almost as annoying as the Kaiser Chiefs in my book.

Maximo Park were great on Beeb3 after Dr Who Confidential a moment ago though.

Dave Lewis Guest

I stupidly flicked over interactively to Babyshambles... it was as bad as watching The Sound Of Drums....

Nothing is as bad as watching 'The Sound of Drums'.

Dave Lewis Guest

John Fogerty rocks!

Pip Madeley Guest

Just caught a bit of the Killers, took me back those halcyon days of 2004 when I was still a teenager... happy days.

Dave Lewis Guest

Good ol' Iggy... gets loads of people up onstage and then wonders why they won't get down...

Some great swearing for BBC Four as well.