Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I shouldn't brag, but we're on the guest list...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WOW! Will you get to meet the band?

Si.

Possibly!

Si xx

Woo! Have a great night Si! And tell us all about it!

Si.

Suede to get Q Magazine's "Inspiration Award"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11604197

Reformed indie band Suede are to receive the inspiration prize at the Q Awards next week.

The band, who had hits in the 1990s with Animal Nitrate, Stay Together and Beautiful Ones, reunited earlier this year and will release their greatest hits next month.

Crowded House lead singer Neil Finn will also receive a classic songwriter award at Monday's London ceremony.

Bands including Kasabian and Muse are up for the best act in the world award.

They go up against Arcade Fire, Green Day and Kings Of Leon for the night's top prize.

Suede, fronted by Brett Anderson, split up in 2003.

Neil Finn first enjoyed success with his brother Tim's band Split Enz in New Zealand in the 1970s.

In 1985, he formed Crowded House whose hits have included Weather With You, Fall At Your Feet and Don't Dream It's Over.

Crowded House lead singer Neil Finn will also receive a classic songwriter award at Monday's London ceremony.

About time too!

Si xx

No prizes for guessing who'll get "best female"... bloody "Queen of Pop" Florence Welsch and her one hit.

Si.

As long as Kings Of Leon don't win "Best Act In The World Today"... because really they aren't are they?

Of course, this is nothing to do with Suede! And yes, Florence is awful as well, Si!

So guess who won best female? Sigh.

Si. :mobile

Is it too early to talk about the May 30th reissue 2CD/DVD of their albums?
    http://www.suede.co.uk/band/ Just click on any of the albums.

I think I'll get Dog Man Star and Head Music.
    I listened again to Suede debut and considering how highly I thought of it at the time, I now can't stand to hear it! I am aware of the significance of So Young to most of you so apologies, but I find it the most unbearable song on the album!
    That said, I can still swallow up Head Music.?
    I think Head Music is Suede's best album.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    I think Head Music is Suede's best album.
    Respectfully, you must've been hanging out with Charlie Sheen

The best album by far is Dog Man Star - quite possibly the best album by any band in the 1990s.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Head Music? I think you'll find it's Coming Up that's actually their best work (or perhaps their most likeable anyway).

Si xx

A great article about Dog Man Star - oh! Simon and I are going to see Suede play that album on Friday!

Suede Week is upon us. Three nights at Brixton Academy. Three albums played as your Discman intended. Armies of high-rise flashboys, shaking their meat under nuclear skies (etc). But which album/night did you go for? ‘Suede’ has the killer singles. ‘Coming Up’ is the best to sing into a hairbrush. But for me, it’s all about ‘Dog Man Star’: the best album Suede ever made, and the high-water mark in Britpop’s vintage year of 1994. It has claustrophobia. It has smoke-blackened romance. It has gothic ennui. It’s like reading Grimm fairytales on crystal-meth. As far as I’m concerned, that’s a great night out.

Trouble is, the world won’t listen. Shunned by fans, skimmed over by talking heads on ‘I Love The ’90s!’, snubbed by indie-club DJs who spin ‘Beautiful Ones’ every ****ing half-hour… Suede’s masterpiece has been stealthily erased from history. It’s a stretch to call ‘Dog Man Star’ a ‘lost’ album, but since 1994, those mossy buttocks have never ram-raided the public consciousness like Blur’s greyhound or Bonehead’s front-room. Only ‘A New Morning’ charted lower.

Granted, Suede didn’t make it easy for dabblers. ‘Introducing The Band’ kicks things off with the sound of a headache in a Solphadeine advert and a Brett Anderson couplet (“Dog man star took a suck on a pill/and stabbed a cerebellum with a curious quill”) that even Brian Sewell might deem ‘a bit up-its-own-arse’. ‘The Asphalt World’ writhes for nine clammy minutes, while the nuclear explosion in the white-noise section of ‘Daddy’s Speeding’ might as well have been Suede blowing their chances in America.

No wonder you don’t hear new bands running with the ‘Dog Man Star’ template. With an album this ambitious, it’s futile to even try. Commercial suicide, maybe, but these songs got under your skin, pulling you deeper into Suedeworld with every spin, holding you in a trance that meant you’d start listening with a cigarette and snap back into the room when your jeans caught fire. And when ‘Dog Man Star’ risked getting bloated, the grandiosity was punctured by sunbeams like ‘The Wild Ones’ or ‘New Generation’: sublime, no-strings-attached pop that the milkman could whistle.

Blog - it's time we recognised the genius of Suede

Best of all was ‘The 2 Of Us’: an aching moment of Anderson/Butler telepathy, co-written spontaneously at the piano, shortly before the guitarist departed with the immortal kiss-off, “you’re a ****ing ****” (I don't mean those were the lyrics - it's apparently what Bernard said to Brett when he quit).

Is ‘Dog Man Star’ due a comeback? Don’t hold your breath. This isn’t a record you can strip for parts at 79p a pop. It demands too much patience in the age of the clickwheel and playlist. Frustrating for Suede’s accountants, but fine by me. ‘Dog Man Star’ is an exclusive club. This way, I’ll never see a stag party chanting “we are the pigs!” or hear ‘Daddy’s Speeding’ when Jeremy Clarkson tests a family hatchback on ‘Top Gear’. This album is destined to live in the shadows. Maybe that’s where it belongs.
    Dog Man Star is a thing of wonder. Utterly pretentious, but the musicianship and quality of the lyrics rises above that. Compared with their first album, it really is the sound of a band moving to the next level.

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?bl...erp&more=1&c=1

JEALOUS. Was too slack in getting tickets. How are they going to recreate Still Life live? Are they going to do it acoustic, like Brett and
    Bernard did in 1993, or are they going to use samples like Blur do on The Universal? Will Brett change the lyrics to We Are The Pigs like he did at Heaven in 1994? WHY AM I NOT GOING???

We'll let you know what happens! Or we could smuggle you in under the cover of a sci-fi lullaby and a police car (on fire).

I'm going to the "Coming Up" night on Saturday!

Si.

You should gen up on their Coming Up era B-sides, there's a wealth of hidden classics there!

I don't even know the album that well! Is it wasted on me? Will they do "We're Trash You And Me" and that one about Friday Night?

Si.

Better do your wiki, Ricky.

Steve! I might need the mic back in a few weeks. Is this a good excuse for more after work drinks?

Si.

It's certainly going to be interesting. It's a strange old album, magnificent and majestic and downbeat and uplifting in equal parts. I love lots of it, and other bits I could leave. But they never did a better song than The Wild Ones. And that makes it all worthwhile!

I'm dying, I'm dying, I'm dying, I'm dying...

One of the best albums ever recorded. Love it from start to finish - every single track (yes, including This Hollywood Life) is a masterpiece, IMO.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Coming Up is an easier album to love though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    I'm dying, I'm dying, I'm dying, I'm dying...
    It took me YEARS to actually hear it like that. For me, it was always "dying-um, dying-um, dying-um..."

That's the lyric? I had NO idea!