Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    That's the lyric? I had NO idea!
    I was too busy shaking my meat to the beat to notice, originally...

They were absolutely fantastic last night. While I was doubting our choice of album before the gig, I think we made the best choice. Dog Man Star came across so well- coming on to the strings of Still Life (which were beautiful) was a good start, but the album itself was played to perfection. Funnily enough, despite the big songs from it being played to perfection, it was some of the ones I didn't know so well that came across best- Daddy's Speeding and The Asphalt World were probably my favourites.

The encore was astounding though- b sides I didn't know so well, followed by the rarely heard Stay Together and a trio of songs from the first album rounded off the night brilliantly.

Did Brett do the rap bit of Stay Together? I always cringe when I hear that.

Just got back from "Coming Up". I felt a bit of a fraud as I've never even HEARD the album, I just liked two of the singles and so agreed when a friend asked if I wanted to go.

Just after arriving my friend suggested we "go to the front" so rather naughtily we pushed through to quite near the stage - my friend said everyone would move when it started anyway. How right he was! As the light dimmed and they came on, everyone suddenly surged sideways and forwards, which I wasn't expecting. I had a really great view, plus Brett kept walking down into the crowd to sing bits. The opening number was "Trash" and as he belted out the song, he stepped down so he was literally a metre away from me and I was surrounded by surging, singing people all reaching out to stroke his hair! It was quite an experience!

They banged through the set and he barely said two words, but the songs were all quite anthemic and loud and it was certainly a memorable night. He looks great and barely seems to have aged since their heyday.

Si.

I'm looking forward to the A New Morning gig, which is in a garden shed in Kilburn on Monday night.

No, I'm not. I'm just jealous. Mainly of Si Hart and Steve, but I wouldn't have minded seeing the Coming Up night either.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Just got back from "Coming Up". I felt a bit of a fraud as I've never even HEARD the album, I just liked two of the singles
    I thought every song was released as a single. That's certainly what it felt like by the time Film Star limped into the charts over a year after Trash...

Someone finally bought the Dog Man Star reissue. Someone subsequently wrote this.

Poor old Dave. At least you've got Dog Man Star!

The orchestral Still Life on the reissue is one of the most beautiful things I've heard in a long time.

Nice review. I bought Dog Man Star for my best friend at uni. I've never bought myself a copy.

Still Life has always screamed out to be used over the closing titles of some film or other; getting rid of Brett and Bernard from it just makes it even more cinematic.

New album on way?

Brett Anderson has revealed plans to write a new Suede album.

The band's frontman told XFM that he would pen a new record after he stops touring his current solo album Black Rainbows.

Anderson said: "After I've promoted this solo album I'm intent to be writing a new Suede album.

"I think it's all about keeping yourself interested as a musician, once it gets to this stage in your career it's very much about doing things that keep you excited and making a new Suede record will be exciting and then making another solo record after this will be exciting. It's just about trying to keep yourself interested the whole time."

If this was a new Anderson/Butler album, I'd be interested. But as it won't be, I have as much interest in it as I do in Brett's solo work.

*potentially controversial opinion* Here Come The Tears is better than all the post-Bernard Suede albums, including Coming Up.

On the other hand, this is pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOIGxfr_6wg

It ticks all the boxes if you're playing Brett lyrical bingo, but it's quite toe-tappy.