Default Lembit pik and the Cheeky Girls

I should've started a thread about this when the crazy story first broke, but it just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

From Tuesday's Independent:

http://news.independent.co.uk/people...cle2414767.ece

Lembit calls his lawyers over Cheeky Girls show
    By Henry Deedes
    Published: 03 April 2007

Ever since it was revealed that Lembit Opik was stepping out with one half of the the Cheeky Girls, he's faced regular drubbings at the hands of the third estate. Now, finally, the Lib Dem MP has decided to call the lawyers in.

Opik is unhappy about a report that appeared over the weekend linking him with a controversial reality TV show called Killing the Cheeky Girls.

The article, which appeared in the Sunday Express, claimed that Opik was to appear on a show, which aims to trick contestants into believing they have murdered the Z-list pop duo.

"I'm very angry," he tells me. "I'm not in the show and I told the paper when they phoned up that I wasn't involved. I'm now taking legal advice and will be considering legal action as well as reporting them to the Press Complaints Commission.

"It's so distasteful to suggest I'd be involved in anything like this."

The programme was made by a British film-maker called Alki David. When I managed to track him down in Los Angeles, he denied inventing Opik's involvement in order to promote the project.

"It wasn't my to intention to imply that Lembit actively took part in the programme, I just said that footage of him would feature in some form in the final edit." he says.

"It may be that I just use archive footage of him - but I might still try and chase him for a surprise interview."

It tops all his stuff with Sin Lloyd!

Here's the coverage of the story when it first broke last December:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6188147.stm

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/...n_page_id=1770

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6248421.stm

Wayne Guest

Nothing against James, but who gives a ****ing shit!

And i've never even heard of Lembit Opik until today.

how bizarre!

he's still an excellent speaker.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Nothing against James, but who gives a ****ing shit!

And i've never even heard of Lembit Opik until today.
    It's been a major sleb news story for the last three months!

I thought everyone knew who Lembit Opik was? Next you'll be telling me I'm the only PS member who can name over 100 MPs... apart from Raston!

I was just about to start a Scottish Parliament/Welsh Assembly Election thread as well.

You know what they say about pictures & words...

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    love it!

Who knackered the original thread title!?

Looks like it's all over:

MP Lembit Opik gets boot from his Cheeky Girl

Quote Originally Posted by News of the World
    MP Lembit Opik gets boot from his Cheeky Girl
    EXCLUSIVE By James Weatherup

MP Lembit Opik has been DUMPED by his Cheeky Girls fiancée, the News of the World can reveal.

Furious Gabriela Irimia is refusing to see the Lib-Dem politician or take his calls after a series of bust-ups.

Last night a source close to the pair said: “Gabby is very stressed and just wants to be on her own.

“She is very unhappy and has been crying a lot. It’s just got too much lately.”

Gabby—whose most famous hit with twin Monica is The Cheeky Song (Touch My Bum)—has told friends: “I can’t handle it any more. This is not a proper relationship. I want some space.”

Friends say a series of rows came to a head two weeks ago, before the Cheeky Girls performed at a gala dinner in London.

Our source revealed: “Lembit was going on and on, dominating the conversation like he normally does and was delaying Gabriela, who wanted to get ready to sing with Monica. She was going to be late on stage and decided she’d had enough.

“She stormed off, did the gig and refused to speak with Lembit at the end or leave with him.

“Lembit has been frantically texting her but she doesn’t want to see him or talk to him.

“He even turned up at the twins’ home in Rye last week but Gabby refused to see him.”

The relationship was regarded as one of the oddest celebrity pairings ever—he a 42-year-old politician and she a Romanian pop star 17 years his junior.

They met when taking part in C5’s All Star Talent Show in 2006 and got engaged three months ago when Opik went down on one knee by the Trevi Fountain in Rome. The couple discussed marrying next year though they never lived together, spending just two nights a week with each other at his London flat or in Wales where he owns two houses.

Opik was previously engaged to TV weathergirl Sian Lloyd. They had an acrimonious split, with her criticising his drinking.

Tensions in his relationship with Gabby were clear in documentary Living With The Cheeky Girls, repeated on Living TV tonight at 8pm.

In it, the couple are seen arguing after Opik arrives late for a party to celebrate the 53rd birthday of the twins’ mum Margit.

He had been held up voting at Westminster and missed a speech by Gabby at London’s Embassy Club. As he explains what happened, Gabby walks off saying “whatever”.

Another source claimed: “Lembit dictates when and where they meet and Gabby’s finding it emotionally draining.

“They met accidentally on Thursday at the BBC during filming of political programme This Week.

“He turned up and asked what Gabby and Monica were doing there. Then his researcher made a joke in front of everyone, asking the same question. The twins felt insulted. You could have cut the atmosphere with a knife.

“Lembit tried to buttonhole Gabby in the green room but she was ice cold. She left with Monica, refusing to say goodbye.”

Last night mum Margit said: “Gabriela is upset but is refusing to talk about Lembit.”

Anyone watching Living with the Cheeky Girls?

Thought not?

Cool and awesome review

Jody met the Cheeky Girls at Edinburgh Airport on her hen weekend.

“Lembit has been frantically texting her......

“Lembit tried to buttonhole Gabby in the green room.....”
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

“Lembit has been frantically texting her......"

“Lembit tried to buttonhole Gabby in the green room.....”

I wish her good luck with her next career move.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild