Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default UK Live Earth Concert - 7th July

Madonna, Genesis, James Blunt and the Red Hot Chili Peppers will be among the headliners at the London show of the global series of Live Earth concerts. They will be joined at Wembley Stadium by groups including Foo Fighters, Duran Duran, Snow Patrol and Razorlight.

Live Earth will take place on 7 July across seven continents, as a way of highlighting climate change. Some of the acts had already endorsed the project but Wembley's full line-up had not previously been confirmed.

A total of 17 acts have been announced for Wembley, with the promise of more to follow. The diverse line-up include rap group The Beastie Boys, singer-songwriters David Gray and Damien Rice, and R&B pianist John Legend. Black Eyed Peas, Bloc Party, Corinne Bailey Rae, Keane and Paolo Nutini complete the bill so far.

The organisers said that tickets would be allocated by a ballot, and fans would be able to register their interest online for 72 hours from 1200 BST on Friday. Tickets, priced at 55 each, would be limited to two per applicant and could then be purchased from Wednesday 18 April.

The concerts aim to set a "green example" for other music events by using measures such as eco-friendly electricity, sustainable lighting and carbon-neutral travel.

"We hope Live Earth will launch a global campaign, giving a critical mass of people around the world the tools they need to help solve the climate crisis."

All profits will go to organisations including the Alliance for Climate Protection, the Climate Group and Stop Climate Chaos.
    Doesn't look too bad, does it! Three of my all time favourite bands on the same bill... shame I won't be able to go though, I'll be in Manchester for the big Genesis gig later the same day

Does mean Genesis are doing this on the same day as one of their gigs? That's a lot for old men to take on.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

They're quite spry for their age, actually.

At least it's an impressive line up, and it's being held at Wembley so it's a good reason for people to visit the new stadium... ticket prices aren't too steep either, and it's all going to a good cause.

We demand everything is Spice.

It all sounds very Live 8. I bet Spice get rumoured then shatter our dreams.

I'm moist for Madge and predict she'll do "Hung Up", "Get Together" and "Like A Virgin" or "La Isla Bonita" in the dancefloor stylee for those that like a blast from the past and a blast from her tuppence.

Pip Madeley Guest

The Tap are back!

Spoof rock band Spinal Tap will reform to play the Live Earth concert at Wembley Stadium in London in July. The group, who were created for Rob Reiner's cult 1984 film This Is Spinal Tap, have been added to a bill that also includes Madonna and Genesis.

Reiner joked that Christopher Guest, who played guitarist Nigel Tufnel, thought global warming meant he was "wearing too much clothing".

The group, who have reunited several times since the film, are also releasing a new single called Warmer Than Hell.

Reiner, 60, has worked with environmental group the National Resources Defense Council for more than 20 years and is hoping the message will have a substantial effect. He has also directed a new 15-minute film about the band's reunion, which will be shown at the opening night of the Tribeca Film Festival in New York on Wednesday.

It's a week away. Can't say I'm moist for it but Mrs Ritchie's set list is apparantly going to be....

..."La Isla Bonita", "Ray of Light", "Hung Up" and not very popular new song "Hey You" (with a ghastly choir of children).

I'm sure it'll be lovely.

Metallica, Pussycat Dolls and Kasabian have been added to the bill.

WhiteCrow Guest

They'll really be flying in from all over the world to tell us ... erm ... not to fly because it's bad for the environment!

How carbon neutral are they huh?

I think Chisholm should do Carolynna acoustic and then smile with joy as the crowd sing Treasure en masse.

Maybe not.

Pip Madeley Guest

I imagine Genesis will play Land Of Confusion (highly topical), No Son Of Mine, Turn It On Again, and if the prog fans are lucky, Los Endos.

Pip's too good!

Live Earth Wembley line-up, according to NME:

http://www.nme.com/news/live-earth/29428

Will there be a mad posse of Who fans throwing bottles of piss at Catherine Tate?
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 6th Jul 2007 at 5:25 PM.

Pip Madeley Guest

Prog fans aren't lucky.

Three of my five fave bands playing, should be a goodie! I'll watch it till late afternoon and then I'm off to Old Trafford for the biggest & best concert in the country.

My favourite band are playing Live Earth Australia. I don't think I'll be seeing this weekend!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

My tenth and fifteenth favourite acts are playing today.

'Turn It On Again' at a climate change gig!?

Collins has already raped my ears tenfold!

Some dude on Digital Spy thinks it's John Locke from Lost.

My letter (RE: Potty-Mouthed Collins) is on its way to Ofcom.

I wasn't going to watch any of this. It seems these sorts of massive, worldwide, all-day, multi-artist concerts have become rather ten-a-penny these days. The likes of Live Aid, the Freddie Mercury Concert, and Live 8 were all rather special, and will undoubtedly live long in the memory. But in recent years, we've had the less memorable Queen's 50th anniversary concert and the Concert For Diana. Then, a week after the latter, we have the Live Earth concerts. Perhaps I'm just becoming a bit blase about them, but I just didn't feel particularly excited.

However, I did watch some of it in the end, and, to be fair, the concerts were far superior to some of the others I mentioned. There were no particularly memorable moments, but there were some good performances, of the few I saw, notably Keane, the Pussycat Dolls (yes, really!) and Foo Fighters, who in my opinion, blew everyone else off the stage.

Elsewhere, Toni Collette was surprisingly good singing with her hubbie's band, while Rihanna in a skintight catsuit and Shakira wigglin' and a-jigglin' provided some perv-some delights.

We taped the last couple of hours and I have to say I was dissapointed. At the Diana concert there seemed more a mix, I have to say there was hardly ANYONE at this gig I wanted to see - apart from Madonna who did a hit and miss new version of "La Isla Bonita" but was otherwise very good and James Blunt, who tried hard but bizarrely did a below-par new song instead of "You're Beautiful"!

We also had to fast forward through about two hours of pointless chatter with D-list guests when we watched it back.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

You wait since Live 8 for a big charity concert featuring a line up of past and current mega groups ... then two come along in the same week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    There were no particularly memorable moments, but there were some good performances, of the few I saw, notably Keane, the Pussycat Dolls (yes, really!) and Foo Fighters, who in my opinion, blew everyone else off the stage.

Elsewhere, Toni Collette was surprisingly good singing with her hubbie's band, while Rihanna in a skintight catsuit and Shakira wigglin' and a-jigglin' provided some perv-some delights.

All the best highlights (apart from Genesis, Nutella, Duran Duran , Chris Rock, RHCP, Keane, Metallica, Spinal Tap, Chris Rock in the studio, PCD cameltoe, Foo Fighters and Madonna hoof) were on BBCi or BBC One post-midnight:

Tunstall's golden thighs, a sweaty Alicia Keys, Bon Jovi with some sublime Sambora talk box action on 'It's My Life' and 'Livin' On A Prayer', Kelly Clarkson, Smelua in Hamburg, Smashing Pumpkins, fantastic rapping from UB40's Astro on 'Red Red Wine', Lenny Kravitz doing a great version of 'Are You Gonna Go My Way' in Rio, Roger Waters performing 'Money' and 'The Happiest Days Of Our Lives'/'Another Brick In The Wall (Pt 2)', The Police and Kanye West on 'Message In A Bottle' and Cameron Diaz prancing about in tiny shorts.

Al Gore really is toooooooo wiiiiiiiide!

PERVHOUND ALERT!!

Exhibit A (Tunstall)

Exhibit B (Diaz)

Exhibit C (Keys)
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 8th Jul 2007 at 6:34 PM. Reason: pervhound links

Madonna's peddle-pushers were straight from Spice Girls In America: A Teurgh Story.

The Foo Fighters were good.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Pip Madeley Guest

This is getting a release (2 DVD + 1 CD):

Only £11.99 at Amazon, pretty reasonable price.

This whole concert annoyed me and makes me want to rant for hours, so I shan't be buying it.

Pip Madeley Guest

It started with a bang but went downhill once Genesis left the stage.

Its not the acts that annoy me (Although we all know that Genesis are well past it! ) its what the concert was trying to promote and the way they promoted it.