Thread: What a mug!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What a mug!

Does anyone find themselves collecting mugs (deliberately, or as presents)?

I'm currently drinking tea out of a mug which proclaims me to be the "World's Greatest Uncle".

Tell all about your mug escapades.

Pip Madeley Guest

I used to have a Doctor Who mug (black, with TVM logo and McGann), lasted me for years, until it was dropped on the kitchen floor. Nowadays I use one that says "Cool Student", which is more than a little inappropriate.

I love mugs! We have tons, and frankly could do with throwing some out, but I just can't bring myself to. Fans of a short-lived Sandi Toksvig/Mike McShane sitcom of the 90s, will be pleased to know that I practice mug rotation.

I'm currently drinking from a mug (present from t'mother-in-law) with the legend 'The Man In Charge' on it. Other highlights of the crockery cupboard are my silver jubilee mug, lots of cat mugs, an Eeyore mug, Zel's Bagpuss mug, Mr Tickle, and a mug of Ledbury Market Hall. About the only mug I don't use is one I got for the Charles 'n' Di wedding, which bizarrely is a gold picture on a totally black mug.

My favourite mug was a black DW one, where the TARDIS appeared if you put a hot drink in it, and then gradually dematerialised as the drink cooled down. Unfortunately it got broken years ago

My wife has a nasty habit of getting rid of mugs that don't match the crockery set. I just like ones which hold at least 2 normal coffee cups volume.
    My oldest mug is one from my secondary school with the school crest on it. It hides safely in the loft.
    Bazinga !

My favourite mug was a black DW one, where the TARDIS appeared if you put a hot drink in it, and then gradually dematerialised as the drink cooled down. Unfortunately it got broken years ago
    You get to drink out of that if you visit HaRpi!

Si.

My TARDIS appearing mug is in my office with junk in it, no tea has ever been in it, I do have a '76 plastic mug with Tom on it which also has never been used for tea or any hot drink. Most recently I got a Yorkie mug with an easter egg from the Mother-in-law.

E.T.A Oh, I forgot, I got a new Dalek mug from Angela with an easter egg.
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; 10th Apr 2007 at 10:41 PM.

Captain Tancredi Guest

The ones that see most regular use hereabouts are my Tranmere Rovers-Pure Genius one, the Prisoner one I bought in Portmeirion and my three London Underground ones, because I have a thing about Underground design.

I go through phases of picking them up on holidays and so on, but have enough at the moment so need to break/lose a few before I acquire any new ones. To this day I've not used my British Museum or Lady Chatterley's Lover mugs (the latter unfortunately not one of those where something appears when you pour a hot drink into it). The only Who-related one I have came from the Spaceport at Seacombe Ferry, where the travelling Who exhibition was over Christmas- I never went to the exhibition, but they were selling off the Doctor Who- Spaceport Merseyside branded mugs when I passed through a few weeks ago.

I usually drink from Madonna's cup, a bootleg "American Life" one which Lady Si got from ebay. I have an official Spice one but it's oddly small and hopeless.

Our most bestest mug is our official P-Bal one. Many a vistor has supped hot, sweet fluids from our P-Bal.

I had a disappearing TARDIS one too! Mine was white, not black though. Originally a very blue TARDIS would disappear as hot liquid was added, but over the years it faded so that when you added hot liquid a sickly-green TARDIS just became a tad less sickly.

but have enough at the moment so need to break/lose a few before I acquire any new ones
    I'm too stingy to let that stop me, Ian - quite a few of ours have the odd chip out of them, and the Jubilee mug's handle has just a suggestion of superglue around the handle where I had to repair it!!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    Our most bestest mug is our official P-Bal one. Many a vistor has supped hot, sweet fluids from our P-Bal.
    Captain Simon Rayner of The Innuendo Squad, ladies and gentlemen.

Wayne Guest

I have several Hawkwind mugs, & several Dalek mugs.

That's all you need to know, really.

My oldest mug is an "Everton World's Greatest Team" one (circa 1985). My newest mug a "Little Britain Ceramic Mug with a Hollow Milk Chocolate Egg". Got it on Sunday and it's sitting on the shelf beside me... still sealed.

At work I have one that my Mum got me with "World's Greatest Computer Whizz" on it - I like to appreciate the irony of it.

Si.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I'm too stingy to let that stop me, Ian - quite a few of ours have the odd chip out of them, and the Jubilee mug's handle has just a suggestion of superglue around the handle where I had to repair it!!
    And I still have the scarred lip to prove it...

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    My oldest mug is an "Everton World's Greatest Team" one
    That is an ancient relic and no mistake...

I've just realised I bought myself a talking Cyberman mug which is still in it's box.

We're a bunch of mug hoarders!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    ...Hawkwind mugs...

My mate at X-records record shop in Bolton calls 'em that. They'll pay anything for a rare piece of vinyl...

@Carol

I'm rather unlucky with mugs. My silver Jubilee one was broken, my uncle said he'd fix it and I never saw it again; the Charles and Di one disappeared in transit during the move; and the only one I now have left is a souvenir from New York that my brother brought back. It's now in discrete hiding as it was made just before 9/11, and shows the old NYC skyline.... I use a glass now...

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    My mate at X-records record shop in Bolton calls 'em that. They'll pay anything for a rare piece of vinyl...
    Only silly old hippies buy vinyl in this age of CD quality.

I'm rather unlucky with mugs. My silver Jubilee one was broken, my uncle said he'd fix it and I never saw it again; the Charles and Di one disappeared in transit during the move; and the only one I now have left is a souvenir from New York that my brother brought back. It's now in discrete hiding as it was made just before 9/11, and shows the old NYC skyline
    No offence, Stuart, but please don't buy any Doctor Who mugs will you. With your track-record, they'd probably axe the show the next day...

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Only silly old hippies buy vinyl in this age of CD quality.
    That'll be me then!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    No offence, Stuart, but please don't buy any Doctor Who mugs will you. With your track-record, they'd probably axe the show the next day...
    I almost bought an Ian Levine mug, but he'd only end up here...

Could always get it & then 'accidentally' drop it.

Stop giving me ideas!