Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default Steven Moffatt wins BAFTA for "Blink"

Not a single nomination... must be quite a comedown for RTD and co after the double-victory last year...

Looks like Moffat's episode wasn't that great after all.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Or the rest of the series.

I hope this wins.....
    ROSS KEMP ON GANGS - Clive Tulloh, Amelia Hann, Ross Kemp (Sky One/Tiger Aspect Productions)
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

No major surprises for me. Looking back through history, it's rare for BAFTA to spurt all over one drama two years in a row:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...t_Drama_Series

http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Awards/BAFTA_Awards/

Well, it's rare this decade.

You have to go back to stuff like The Cops, Inspector Morse and Cracker for "two in a row" winners. Some of the previous winners weren't even nominated the next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if they give Casualty the Continuing Drama award... in recognition of its 20th Anniversary last year/just to get it right up the bitching soaps!

At least the "OMG!! BAFTA SNUBS WHO! FFS!!" headlines will provide fresh material for the "We're doomed! RTD/Moffat raped my BAFTA lovin' Whohood! Series 2 sucks!" crowd (see above). That's got to be a good thing, hasn't it? They can claim it's the kick up the a*se smug RTD and his complacent production crew needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    No major surprises for me. Looking back through history, it's rare for BAFTA to spurt all over one drama two years in a row:

No wonder the show isn't live!!!!!!!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

I don't rate BAFTAs and all those other smug awards... over the years I think theres more to do with internal politics than merit in these things - terribly cynical of me I know....

The original series was adored by the public particularly in the 1970s yet how many of these industry awards did it recieve? Bugger all.

It was fashionable to give it awards in recent years particularly with much admired lovey RTD at the helm.

Citizen Kane comes top of every supposed top critic in the world of movies yet ask the general going public and it's completely off the radar and not just because it was made in the 1940s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I don't rate BAFTAs and all those other smug awards... over the years I think theres more to do with internal politics than merit in these things - terribly cynical of me I know....

The original series was adored by the public particularly in the 1970s yet how many of these industry awards did it recieve? Bugger all.
    But Pertwee's Season Eleven won a Writers' Guild of Great Britain Award for Best Childrens' Drama:

http://imdb.com/Sections/Awards/Writ...t_Britain/1975

Surely that's recognition for the top standard of writing that year?

Shows you how bl**dy good Who was back in that Pertwee era

That Monster of Peladon script was sparkling!

Wayne Guest

Further proof that Eccleston's season was much finer than the last one.

*Hang on, i went into a time warp there, & thought i was still posting on Logo Metro. @Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Shows you how bl**dy good Who was back in that Pertwee era

That Monster of Peladon script was sparkling!
    I think that was what swung it.

It's the kick up the a*se smug RTD and his complacent production crew needed!

“If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I agree with the post above.

I agree with Ralph about the BAFTA's & internal politics, and it's also about being populist rather than giving the awards to the best shows imo.

Citizen Kane is a bloody brilliant film though, and just gets better with every viewing. I wouldn't say it's the best film of all time, but it'd make my top 10, and in terms of it's contribution to cinema it's incredibly important.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

Totally agree with you there, Alex. I watched it again recently and it was a great pleasure

Hmm, it is a bit odd that it has no nominations, but at least there's a chance 'Life On Mars' may get a few awards.

Oh, and shamefully, I have still never seen 'Citizen Kane'.

Wayne Guest

Gotta admit, i've never paid any attention to industry awards ceremonies & the like. It's all comes across a bit self congratulatory.
    So long as the show remains popular with the public that's the main that's gonna keep it on our screens, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Or the rest of the series.
    Well, only one episode will have been submitted for BAFTA's consideration - last year, when the show won its category, it was The Parting of the Ways, but I've no idea what they entered this year. Was it The Girl in the Fireplace?

There's no need to see Citizen Kane, it's essentially the same as Love & Monsters.

In that it's mostly told in flashback.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I bet they sent "The Satan Pit" in, the fools.

Si.

I think it's entirely right that other shows should be nominated for BAFTAs. Doctor Who is an established critical success now, but there are other TV shows that require attention. Dunno what they are, but I'm sure they're great.

But shouldn't the point of awards be to reward triumphs however well known, not to give attention to unpublicised achievements?

Si.

But shouldn't the point of awards be to give attention to unpublicised achievements, not to reward triumphs however well known? At least in the 'Best New Drama' category?

There isn't a "Best New Drama" category!

Pip Madeley Guest

But shouldn't the point of awards be to give actors and production crew a damn fine night with plenty of pop and nibbles, not to reward programmes with meaningless accolades?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    It's all comes across a bit self congratulatory.
    There's no other industry like it for patting each other on the back... there seems to be award ceremonies for the Film and entertainments industry every other month. "Money for nothing and your chicks for free"